Senegal Parrot Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
I know there are people here who know about parrots, and I need some help. Any recommendations for a good parrot forum would be appreciated too. So here's the story:

My boyfriend knows a lot about birds, and a couple of years ago adopted a poor little Senegal who had been branded as a troublemaker. He's been through 7 or 8 homes, and has always been given back to the rescue because of his issues. My boyfriend has no intention of giving him back no matter what, which I think is admirable. But, the bird does have issues - especially with me. He's OK with my boyfriend, but he hates me. The last time I held him (which was over a year ago) he bit my thumb so hard that it took almost a week for the mark to go away, and now I'm a little bit afraid of him. I talk to him, give him treats, etc., but he makes it clear that he doesn't like me and will bite me if given a chance. No amount of (gentle) correction will change this behaviour. So far it hasn't been a huge issue because I only see him once or twice a week. However... I'll be moving in with my boyfriend soon, and I really want for Tiko and I to be friends. I would like to be able to have him out of his cage while my boyfriend isn't home. I need some suggestions on how I can help him adjust to me, and vice versa. I recognize that his behaviour is not his fault, and since he's been through so many homes, we may never fully understand what motivates him. I also understand that bird psychology and behaviour is very complex and there will not be an easy solution. But there must be something I can do to at least bring about a truce! Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I've had experience with this in a senegal and meyers parrot. The senegal was my baby, and only tolerated women, while the meyers was totally in love with my husband. Despite my best efforts the male meyers didn't come around as much as I would like. If he saw, or even heard my husbands voice it was all over. He was also unpredictable. One minute sweet and the next he could bite down so hard. I tried offering him treats while my husband was away, and just gave him his space. This might be the case with you, and your boyfriends bird. It is a sad fact that so many of these guys get bumped around. I commend you for keeping him no matter what. Here is a link to one forum that might help you out. Best of luck!
http://parrottimes.com/forum3/index.php?PHPSESSID=27de22d4c9b8a6e12dcdb58b68ec77f2&action=register

Back