New Chin Family

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3chins

My family is proud to have a family of chins join us. Miriam [F]is 2, Moses [M]is 1 baby Bounce is 3 months old and was told a female.
Miriam is mom to both and is currently with Bounce.
Bought the girls a Critter Nation Cage when I got them[didn't like cages they came with] Bought Moses a Ferret Mansion cage.
They were delivered to my house by the previous owners who placed them in the same cage for the trip[45min] so I hope Moses wasn't interested in moma during the trip.

Originally I was only going to keep 2[same sex] and find a home for the single one but not happening we love them all. I was told he is to old to get a cage mate and I didn't want to send him to a be a lone chinchilla when he is used to being in the same room with others.

Now for questions. Can Moses be introduced to a cage mate since he is over a year? Or would it be better to get him fixed and be with the females[don't want babies].

I posted about out chins and forgot the rest of the family.

I'm mom [Frances] I have 4 children with special needs that I have adopted.
We have 3 dogs, 2 cat, 1 rabbit [that loves to climb as high as he can or stretch out on the living room floor like the dogs]
2 rats[m], 2 guinea pigs[f] 2 hamsters and our chins.

Critters are so calming for me and the kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome!! :wave3: sounds like quite the zoo at your home!

i'd keep Miriam on pregnancy watch for 111 days just in case. other members that have breeding experience can tell you what is entailed in pregnancy watch.

Moses could have a cagemate if he is introduced properly to them, is another male, and gets along. many chins have been introduced later in life and things go just fine. other people with introduction experience will hopefully chime in, as i'm a one chinchilla slave, lol!

Here is the setup, Moses , Miriam on top baby Bounce in hut. I have ordered the flying saucers and waiting on them. See anything that needs to be changed let me know please.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
i see you have a lot of plastic items in your cages. i'd remove them before your chins decide that eating plastic is good - can lead to impaction and potential death. plastic shelves can easily be replaced with kiln dried pine boards, you just need some hanger bolts, washers, and wing nuts for hardware.

the hammocks and hanging tube should be replaced with 100% fleece hammocks and tubes too, since the nylon straps on those ferret type ones are an impaction risk as well.

love that shot with momma on top and baby under the logs, too cute!

OK I goofed, what I thought was Moses was a closeup of Miriam, I can see the tips of Bounces ear in the picture.

Good to know about the hammocks, I will replace them. When they came to me they had huge plastic igloo was half eaten. I threw it out, I have been watching for any signs of chewing so far the only thing was Moses chewed on the edge of the potty box that is why it is setting on top. Well that is besides wood trim around the closet doors.
They get out every night and run and jump in my sons room. It is totally critter proof everybody checks out the other cages.

nice cages. I agree, plastic isnt good for chins.
You can replace the things with similar ones but have them be metal or wooden :))
You chins are cute!

Welcome, not all chins chew plastic so do keep an eye on yours. Best practise is always wooden ledges for them though. Check the forum for some fleece items for sale--we have many members that do awesome fleece work ie tubes, hammocks, and pillows--Alli713, threewingedfury, and Annieo have kept my chins VERY happy. Moses is definitely not too old at 1 year to get a cage mate or the same sex. But keep in mind not all chins get along with each other. Take some time to read over the various forum sections and threads, ask questions when you have them, and pop into chat if you get a chance.

Back