Housing

• Thread starter kitty-kat-kazoo
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kitty-kat-kazoo

So I took a couple peoples advice and moved Squee to fleece in his cage instead of shavings, I didn't think their was enough fleece to make it comfy to walk on so I shredded a bunch of paper to stuff in the bottom fleece (like a pillow), until I can go out and get one of those fleece liners. He did NOT like it at first.. slept under his truck - refused to go near this new home. It wasn't until a few nights ago he discovered he can sneak UNDER the fleece into the paper and now he's made a nice little nest inside the paper. It doesn't look likes he's eating any of the paper - i heard they can cause problems due to not properly diguesting paper. Do you think this is ok until I can get him liners?

What kind of paper are you using? Most breeders give soft tissue or toilet paper to build nests and the hedgies do just fine. I put paper towel under their wheels and they dont touch it.

If you are really concerned you can do fleece strips and put those in there for a nest. I like to place them around the cage and the boys will collect them and bring them to their house and make a nest.. And if he gets poops on the pieces you can throw a batch in a lingerie bag and put it in the wash and reuse them!

Okay perfect. Right now he's got fleece strips, i cut one big piece (the one i stuffed with shredded paper) and then a whole pile of strips - he has the strips all over top like an igloo and then has the shredded paper all around him and he sleeps in the center. He's actually got quiet the nice little nest - and if i pick the fleece up its all together like a lid so i can look in on him.

Back