Room Temps and Spring/Fall

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboyer

I know we need to keep the room our chinchilla is in below 75 degrees. The problem I didn't foresee that we are running into now is Chicagoland shoulder season. Yesterday it was in the mid 70's in the afternoon, and probably creaping up to 77 or 78 in the room Jacks is in. But then last night it dropped to the 40s and today will be a high of 63 and back down to the 30's tonight, tomorrow high of 40's. It is not uncommon for us to get 30 or even high temperature swings here in a single day during this time of year. It will be like this until mid may, then come mid sept through october we will go through this weather again.

How does everyone maintain temperatures in the house on days like this? Is there something I can do to keep him cool while we go through these shoulder seasons without turning on the AC to cool 3000 sq ft for 4 hours then have it switch over to heat up that same 3000 sq ft. Thinking maybe a small spot cooler for just his room for days like that?

What I do is just leave the window open in room at night when it's cool if it's going to be warm the next day. Then make sure you close the shade so the sun isn't beating in warming up the room during the day. Just make sure the cage is not in the path of the airflow from the window in case of a breeze or wind. You can put a blanket over the side of the cage facing the window if you need to.

You can use a small air conditioner in just that room, if that is what you mean by spot cooler. Would be more reliable then just having the window open at night and hoping it doesn't get too hot the next day.

Yes a spot cooler is a small one room AC unit. I'll try leaving the window open at night before a warmer day. Looks like we are good for the next week or so, it was just warm yesterday and it got me thinking how common that is this time of year. Thanks.

Back