Sleeping Patterns?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHedgie

I've noticed with Watson that he isn't strictly nocturnal. He seems to be awake for a few hours, then asleep for a few hours, the repeat. I've caught him a wake at all hours of the day and night. However, i have noticed he has a pattern (ex. He's awake at 5pm, goes back to sleep at 7, wakes up again at 10-11)
I guess what I'm asking is, Is this normal? Or should I be worried? Thanks for the help!

True... they're not necessarily 100% nocturnal. Satin and Texie used to get up around 4 or 5, rustle about and have a snack, then trundle off back to bed.

If he's genuinely not following a light/dark sleep/active pattern, I'd start suspecting illness or problems with his vision. But a bit of sleep at night and a bit of activity during the day is just fine.

Thanks. He is way more active at night then in the daytime, so it's probably just me catching him having a snack. Thank you for put my fears at bay. :)

Mine are pretty much nocturnal but some are lazier than others. Sometimes when I'm filling the food and water during the day instead of after dark they'll come out for a fresh bite or drink but otherwise I haven't caught any of them out during the daylight and they are rather grouchy when I wake them up during the day which I've been doing lately to try and adjust them to a more open schedule especially the ones I plan to sell. Some wake up the instant it gets dark and some are rather lazy and don't come out till close to midnight. Some stay out all night eating, drinking and wheel running while some go back to hiding after they've eaten.

I have weird severe insomnia that no one can put a diagnosis or good solution to. So I take like 5 different pills, fall asleep from 10pm to 2 am, feed and water hedgehogs, play with babies, check the adults, and watch tv for a few hours before taking 3 more pills to fall asleep until 8-9am. Then I usually play with the chins because they are up until close to noon. Having nocturnal hedgehogs fits my schedule just fine but I know not everyone is up late enough if the hedgies avoid sunlight especially in summer when it doesn't get dark until 9pm or lazy ones like Cinni who only get up for a couple hours in the middle of the night.

My boy used to stay up all night from 10pm or so to 4ish in the morning, then he would be up once or twice during the day for a midday snack. When I was a teenager, I'd stay up almost as late as him, playing with him or at least putting him in his playpen to wander around. Lately as he's grown older, he sleeps in later, sometimes I'm in bed before he gets up now, some nights it seems like he sleeps 24 hours a day. He's seen a vet though and she thinks he's quite friendly and healthy, just sleeps more and runs less due to old age.

He's been known to get up a few times during the day for a snack and a drink. He doesn't often get up to run for too long though.

Ok, so it sounds like my guy is pretty much normal then. It's not like he's up all day and asleep all night, but he does get up once or twice to have a snack. Good to know I'm just being an over worried mommy. :p

Sounds pretty normal to me. My girl would sleep most of the day and come out when she would hear us come home around 5pm... she'd come out, get a snack and drink, then we'd take her out and she'd sleep in her fleece on the couch until around 11pm. Then wake up and go back to her house to eat, and play play play play all night. :) I miss hearing her rummage around all night... its too quiet here now.

Back