The dreaded mummified kit...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aznmexaggie

Chinchilla Chateau
Ok, so after five years of breeding, I finally had my first mummified kit experience.

I came home yesterday to find that three of my females had littered. In Spaz' cage, I saw a healthy standard kit running around. When Spaz saw me, she came to the cage door and in the back of a cage I saw a dark round... thing.

I got a closer look and it looked like a ball of fur which had once been wet and had now dried into a hardened mass. I picked it up and noticed there were some pieces sticking out. I pull on the pieces and the ball unrolls... they are legs and the tail! I completely unroll the ball to find a very scary 1 1/2" alien-looking mummified kit, intact with whiskers. I opened the mouth and it even had tiny little teeth.

Pretty disturbing.

I managed to take a couple pictures but I just couldn't look at it any longer. It was very creepy.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/chinchillachateau/100_5494.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/chinchillachateau/100_5493.jpg

Don't mind the purple on my hands. It's Blu-Kote, not alien blood...

menagerie: I've edited the photos to links, so people won't be shocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I think that is more frightening than mine...I can't believe you opened its mouth!!! AAAAHHHH!!!! I seriously hope to never ever ever ever ever find another mummified kit in one of my cages so long as I live. Those things are just terrifying in person!

oh my! this is one of the reasons i'll never ever breed chins.

there is a good side though. at least the kit was small and momma wouldn't have had much trouble pushing it out.

You are a brave soul to even touch it let alone examine it! I would have ran away screaming once I figured out what it was!! R.I.P Little mummified kit :'(

Wow that's creepy! What causes that sort of thing? The kit just died while still in the momma? Why does it look so mummified? Shouldn't it be moist just like any other kit? I've never heard of this before! I don't breed so maybe that's why I've never heard of it.

It's definitely creepy but kind of interesting. Especially that the teeth were present at that stage. Hope mama is doing okay. Such a good mama to let you know whats up!

Wow that's creepy! What causes that sort of thing? The kit just died while still in the momma? Why does it look so mummified? Shouldn't it be moist just like any other kit? I've never heard of this before! I don't breed so maybe that's why I've never heard of it.

When there is something wrong with a kit in the womb or a kit dies in the womb before a certain stage, the mother's body will reabsorb the kit. This is a kind of natural defense mechanism that some animals have. If a kit has already developed the bone structure and fur, the absorption process does not go through fully because the chinchilla cannot reabsorb fur or bones. That's why it still had teeth, nails and a clearly defined body structure. Also, because a mummified kit cannot become toxic to the mother's womb...they can stay in there for a long time without harming her or the next litter. You end up seeing them when she goes into labor, IF you catch it before the mother destroys it.

It's always hard to find kits who have passed. I have mixed feelings about finding a mummified kit. When a kit dies in utero the mom can die from infection caused by decaying tissue. Frequently chin moms retain the body rather than expel it. Mummification is her body's way of protecting itself. When I see a mummified kit I thank God mom is OK and she is still with me.

Cross posted with Tabitha

Last edited:
Wow! I'm sorry the little guy didn't make it and I'm glad momma is ok :)) That's kind of interesting the way her body absorbs it though. Thanks for informing me :))

I couldn't even look at the pictures. However I really appreciate all of the responsible breeders who share them. So much can go wrong with breeding that you help teach people like me that breeding is just not for them without having to make mistakes.

I'm also very happy to hear Spaz is well!

The Pics really creeped me out. I would never have been able to touch it with my bare hand. I would have a tough time if I ever had to find one of those(thank God I dont breed). Hope Spaz and baby stay healthy.

Wow, I am very sorry this happened. :( I used to breed, but got out of it a few years back. I was lucky enough to never have something like this happen to me or my chinchillas. Just goes to show that these things can happen to anyone though! Even the most experienced breeders with good quality animals inevitably have problems.

oh goodness, I've never even heard of 'mummified' kits, that is truly frightening. Sorry to hear about the loss of that little one though and I hope the baby is growing healthy and normal. Is it a rather rare occurance?

I have a question: Someone a little farther back said that a mummified kit is not harmful to the mother, and that it will not make her toxic...
Is this correct? Will it hurt her if she does "destroy" it?

I always thought mummys would go toxic so I put down several (rabbit) females a couple years ago because they didn't pass their mummys. Was this the wrong thing to do? I thought i was doing them a favor by not letting them get sick because i thought it was a sure thing that if they didn't pass the mummys they would get sick... I have never questioned this act before i read this post so now i really need to know.
Oh, I almost forgot to ask, Is it OK to breed a female that has (or has had) a mummy or would you permanently retire her from breeding?

Back