Fighting siblings-PLEASE HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigris

Hello everybody. So today my chinchilla gave birth to two adorable kits. They seem healthy and well developed, but I noticed that they fight a lot and I am scared that they will hurt each other. When they are fighting they affect mom too, she becomes nervous and starts making weird sounds and tries to make them stop by pushing them around. One of the kits is smaller and I am sure he is being bullied by the bigger one. I know that is quite common but is there anything I can do to protect them? Or is it just a phase? Dad is in the same cage but he has been neutred (not sure how to spell that so I am just gonna say he doesnt have his balls anymore) so its okay if they stay together right? Should I separate the kits and make sure that only one at a time is with mother? I am worried and dont know what to do so ANY help will be appreciated.
(sorry for my grammar mistakes)
Thank you! :)

It does normally take a day or two for the mother's milk to come in though, so they could just be fighting because they are hungry. The kits trying to nurse should help the milk come though. I would keep an eye on them, you may need to rotate the kits if they are becoming too violent or one is preventing the other from eating. If you switch them out maybe have the one that is not with the mother in a different cage with the father so it stays warm. If it's been a couple months since the male got neutered and he is being good then there is no reason he can't stay and help, and males have been known to help with the kits.

If you don't already have one get a scale so you can weigh the kits to make sure they are putting on weight. Small digital kitchen scales that measure in grams work well. Use a bowl or container to put the kit in so it doesn't escape.

Back