Christmas tree?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penna

So with Christmas coming up and me having a housefull of chinchillies I ask a question; is their a species of tree, pine tree? that I can have in my house and feel safe that it wont hurt my chin's if they happen to have a nibble, or that I can reuse after the season to dry out and use for chin toys?

I don't keep plants in the house because of them but I do enjoy a live evergreen for the holidays and I've put it off so far.

Advice?

You can have a tree in your house as long an your chins can't chew on it. Pine is only safe for them to chew on if it is kline dried. Many chin owners have trees in their homes. I do. :D The girls are just not allowed around it.

We have a real christmas tree in our house but the chins aren't allowed near it. I don't believe that's safe them.

I would be careful when you let out and make sure they don't have acess to the tree.

I LOVE a real evergreen... the smell of it smells just like christmas :))

i would be very wary of a real Christmas tree having a lot of pesticide and fertilizer used on it during the growing process. only organic trees are suitable for making chin wood out of, and that means no pesticides or fertilizer used on the tree for the whole life of the tree (because all that nasty chemical stuff stays residual in the tree for its lifetime).

much better to just keep the chins away from the tree and give them safe wood to chew on instead. if your chins normally get play time in the room that your tree is going in, just switch it up and let them run around in the bathroom instead during the holidays, or get them a play pen to romp about in.

I wouldn't make chewing wood out of it later, since we don't know if they were sprayed.
I normally get trees with roots, so after each christmas, I will have one more evergreen in my backyard.

Thank you everyone I think I'll just do my little bonsai tree this year as I just can't guarantee that the chins wont find a way, sneaky little fuzzballs.

I source my trees and limbs from a property that I guarantee hasn't had chemicals spray of any kind near it in at least 80 years, but the live plant material had me worried so I'll just leave it.

I do have a kiln, and would properly dry any wood before it became a chinny chew, but I'm still just trying to work out what's ok and what's really not.

*woot woot for my city for getting the ban on posion use!*

Hi!
I am new in California. I have purchased an artificial Christmas tree for the coming Christmas. I need a suggestion for decorating it and from where from where can I get seasonal lighting for it.
Thanks

Hi!
I am new in California. I have purchased an artificial Christmas tree for the coming Christmas. I need a suggestion for decorating it and from where from where can I get seasonal lighting for it.
Thanks

Even a fake tree needs to be kept away from chins, they are made of plastic and other chemicals, the chin(s) will eat it and likely die. Since the tree should be keep away from the chins it doesn't matter what you use on the tree. There is no safe electrical, lighting or otherwise, that can be used within reach of a chinchilla, they will chew through the cords and die. You can use what ever decorations and lights you want, so long as it is not within reach of the chinchilla(s). If you are meaning you want decorations with chinchillas on them, check out the cafe press button links on the top corners of this site.

Christmas tree vapors & chins?

Are the vapors of a real Christmas tree dangerous for chinchillas, too? My chinchilla's cage is in the same area as our tree. Is this dangerous? Thank you!

Back