Should I get a wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflake311

I am going to keep 2 of the 40 rescue Chins I am finding homes for. There were all in a breeding herd. They did not live as pets. So they have never had a wheel. I would like to get one but I am not sure they would use it. These are older chins. Would it be worth it to get them a wheel and if so what kind?

Some chins lose a lot of weight on a wheel, so that is something to be aware of. But other than that, sure, as long as it's chin safe. Solid running surface, large enough that they don't hurt their spines and bend them unnaturally. Flying saucers are popular and there are other solid surface wheels, but I am unsure of name brands anymore.

Thanks. I chinchilla proofed a good sized bed room the other day and let my 2 out to play. They had a great time they never were allowed to happily explore a room before. My little girl got tired after a little bit. They don't jump much and seem a bit out of shape compared to videos I have seen of other crazy chins. These chins are not young my guess is around 5 years old. I don't know for sure they could be older.

I will get them the biggest wheel I can find.

5 years old is not that old either, chins can live 15-20 years or more. My guys got their first wheel when they were around 3 (when I got them). Keep in mind that not only do you need a solid surface metal wheel it also needs to be at least 14", ideally at least 15" especially if the chins are on the larger side. Anything less then that will bend their back wrong and cause back injuries over time, their backs are not designed to bend backwards like other rodents. Also those metal wheels with spokes are not safe either, they can get feet, legs, tails, and necks broken in them.

Chin safe wheels include the silver surfer, the chin spin, and the metal flying saucer (standard or large size). The flying saucer does have much more of a learning curve then the others though, and some chins can't figure them out. My guys got theirs at around 5 or 6 (can't remember) years old and it took them less then a day to figure it out.

5 years old is not that old either, chins can live 15-20 years or more. My guys got their first wheel when they were around 3 (when I got them). Keep in mind that not only do you need a solid surface metal wheel it also needs to be at least 14", ideally at least 15" especially if the chins are on the larger side. Anything less then that will bend their back wrong and cause back injuries over time, their backs are not designed to bend backwards like other rodents. Also those metal wheels with spokes are not safe either, they can get feet, legs, tails, and necks broken in them.

Chin safe wheels include the silver surfer, the chin spin, and the metal flying saucer (standard or large size). The flying saucer does have much more of a learning curve then the others though, and some chins can't figure them out. My guys got theirs at around 5 or 6 (can't remember) years old and it took them less then a day to figure it out.

Thanks. I was concerned about the size of the wheel. I am not sure I will get them one after all. I have a chinchilla proof room that is a good size and they have been loving play time in there. I also do not want them to lose too much weight.

My males love the wheel so much I got them the saucer kind that is metal. took them a few tries to master it but they got it down.

My females showed very little interested init. will try again with them.

Back