babies in california

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jamie28

i live in california and im having trouble finding a hedgehog breeder in my state. i know that they are illegal here, but i also know people have them anyways. dose anyone hav a refrence of someone i can get a baby hedgie locally? im in orange county to be more specific.

You are not going to find anyone reputable breeding and selling in an illegal state. Why would you even want to own one when you risk having in confiscated if caught?

Since they are illegal in California, if a neighbor finds out you have it and reports you, the hedgie will be confiscated and euthanized and you'll be fined. Is that really worth it? You'd be endangering the animal's life just by owning it.

I've transported numerous illegal animals out of state. It is not fun and not easy trying to get animals from a humane society that is required by state law to euthanize the animals when they confiscate them.

What would happen if the hedgie were to get sick or hurt? I doubt there are any vets with hedgie experience in the area due to it being illegal to own them.

In addition to what is mentioned above, realize that you are posting on a PUBLIC forum. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that people troll these sites looking for people just such as yourself, who own animals in an illegal state. It's also not even remotely hard to pinpoint exactly where you live, every time you log onto the computer.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. If they are illegal in your state, don't own one. Then are plenty of other pets you can have that won't risk their lives by living with you.

I have wanted to be owned by a hedgie for such a long time. Unfortunately, I live in one of the most stringent states in relation to ridiculous state laws. I see some cases where people tire of their hedgies or don't give them proper care. I think how much I could give and I can't give. But I also think that I am showing more respect for these little ones by not putting them at risk for confiscation. Also, how could I be sure that a hedgie could get the proper medical care needed in an illegal state. But I also meet so many wonderful people who care so much for their little ones. So I will just continue to haunt the forums pestering all of you for more pictures and videos and stories about your hedgies!

Most vets will not or maybe can not treat an animal that is illegal in the state they are practicing in. So even if a vet knows about that particular animal, they can't treat it.

I hate to give fuel to people wanting an illegal pet, but in CA we do have vets that are experienced with most exotic animals. By law, our vets can treat an animal that is illegal and they are not required by the state to turn over documents or names of clients who own an illegal pet. The theory behind this is that if an animal staying in the state illegally becomes sick with something transmittable to humans, the vets need to be able to treat it. If owners are afraid to bring their pet to a vet for fear of having it confiscated or facing a fine, there could be very bad health consequences. Also, the majority of our vets did not go to school in California or practice their entire lives here.

i live part time in cali and i know several people who have them here. there are many, many vets who will treat them. i interned at a humane society and they said they are supposed to confiscate them, but just turn the other way unless the animals are being abused. it is pretty easy to get them, but if you want them as a baby you will probably have to drive to vegas (everyone i know who has them got them from vegas or craigslist).

i'm not condoning it, but it honestly isn't that big of a deal. ferrets and gerbils are illegal in cali as well, yet everyone has them.

Veterinarians are NO Problem!

I've just recently achieved my fascination with hedgehogs but have found many a site that shows plenty of veterinarians in California. Which ever is closest to you works best. Here is the link: http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/vets_by_state.asp?s=CA
Have fun with your hedgehogs! PS just look up "hedgehogs for sale California" and many people breed their pet hedgehogs and advertise it. One actual breeder that I know of is called "High Quality Hedgehogs" but if you look up "hedgehog in a blog Facebook" and find the link to her website, you can contact her. Hope that I helped!

Even in our hometown, it is forbidden to have hedgehogs as pets. However, there are exceptions. We have contact with an animal welfare organization, which in turn have contacts with the police. It's very common that hedgehogs are run over by cars. Sometimes there is a mother with kids and those it is legal to take care of. We got that way in 2015 responsibility for four hedgehogs kids that were about a week old. One of died and one took the badger. But two of them we had to follow all the way to adulthood.

Back