Fiber Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmw142

Just when I think I've done all the research I could possibly do on hedgie food, I come across something else to question!

I feed my hedgehogs Blue Buffalo Grain Free cat food and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul LIght. Until recently I was also giving Sunseed Hedgehog Food, in very small amounts, but I have seen lots of posts about giving too much protein (it contains 37% protein) causing renal failure and liver problems, so I took it away.

Now my question is about fiber. The Blue Buffalo has 7% fiber and the Chicken Soup has 8%. The Sunseed had 12% fiber. They also get a daily mealie (sometimes two if I feel like spoiling them). My older hedgehog does not like crickets or any other insects I have tried to feed her, just mealworms. The younger one I have had for less than a week, so I'm not introducing new foods right now, she is only on the Blue Buffalo, then I will add to it as she adjusts.

Should I worry about the drop in fiber? And if so, what has worked for you. I know some people add baby cereal, others add grape nuts cereal, etc. Is this necessary?

You know, I really haven't paid much attention to fiber. Though I know others do. I do recall seeing that 7+% is generally considered good, so I wouldn't worry terribly about a drop from a combined 7+8+12 to a combined 7+8. Just take a look at the poops before and after the change - if there a big changes there that you do not like the look of, you may want to consider changing things up fiber-wise. But I believe you should be okay with the 7 and 8 percents.

Back