Shadow, July 29, 2007 to October 23, 2011

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
It has been a rough couple days for me. Just two days after Kismet's death, Shadow passed away as well.

Shadow began her life in a pet store and was purchased as a 'cool' pet by someone who shall remain nameless. She was sold as a male and was so completely terrified of people that no one could ever check her sex.

Eventually, it became apparent that she was far too much for the person who bought her, so a friend of mine stepped in and offered her a new home. She thought she could bring this hedgehog around, but figured out that she needed far more experience. So, she contacted me and Shadow came home on July 29, 2010.

I didn't actually get a good look at Shadow's face until a few months after she arrived. She was THAT shy. She was far happier to be left alone and I respected that. I took her out just enough to check her nails, clean her cage and let her roam around the room. She didn't crave attention like Kismet did and I was perfectly happy to let her make the rules.

About 6 months after arriving, Shadow got sick and required medication. Like Cuda, it was like a light switch clicked on. She figured out that I must not have been completely bad and scary, because I was trying to help her feel better. After that, she was slightly more forgiving of my presence and wouldn't curl into a ball quite as quickly. I was about this time that I discovered that Shadow wasn't actually a little boy. No wonder she was grumpy!

Aside from that illness, Shadow was never sick. She always had a healthy appetite and I could set my watch to the time she ran on her wheel. Every night, she would start running at around 9:50pm and would just be crawling off her wheel when I snapped the light on at 6am. She was never completely happy to see me, but after her illness, we had built a tentative bond. She would let me pet her back and clip her nails, and I would agree not to be too lovey-dovey. It was a great relationship for us.

She was healthy right up until the night of her death. I was still feeling raw and emotionally drained after Kismet's death and I went out of town for a night to avoid her empty cage. I got back around mid-day on Sunday and went to check on Shadow and Nova. Shadow met me at her cage door with a hiss and Nova was busy running on her wheel. Nothing unusual. Both were warm and looking well.

I did my checks again at just after 10pm and as soon as I entered the hog room, I had this feeling. As soon as I opened Shadow's door, I knew. When I found her, she had just passed away - she was still warm. Her little legs were curled underneath her, her eyes were closed and her blanket was clenched in her mouth. That was her bedtime habit - every night, she would chew on her flannel baby blanket and within a few minutes, she would be dozing.

My little Shadow was very lucky to pass in her sleep, feeling warm and safe. After an uncertain first few years, she deserved a gentle passing. She never did become a friendly hedgehog, but she made the visible effort to become more trusting. She never craved attention or sought out the companionship of a human, but that was her nature. She was completely independent and the night to Kismet's day. They were opposites in every way, but I'm hopeful that they found each other on the other side of the Bridge.

Rest in peace, my little Shadow. I love you and I'm so glad that you came into my life. You taught me a little more about hedgehog behavior every day and I'm a more understanding person for having known you. Be good, you're safe now. Stick close to Kismet and she'll introduce you to Hemi, Cuda, Vette and Chance.

So sorry for your losses Courtney. I know it is extremely heart breaking but I am glad that seems to have had a peaceful passing.

Thank you, all. Shadow's urn arrived home with me today and Kismet's will follow (it was sent back due to an error in the name tag). I'm beginning to think I need a shelf to keep all these urns... I'm running out of room on my desk.

It's getting easier to go into the hedgehog room, now that the initial shock has worn off. Nancy, you're right - losing one is hard. Losing two at nearly the same time is overwhelming.

Back