I got a used hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Siren

I stole the title of my thread from a quote from the movie Snoopy Come Home when Linus told Charlie Brown, "You got a used dog".

My hedgie came from a great owner. He was bonded with him and Fulci is 2 years old. Bonding I think is going well. But I've been taking a shortcut...I bathe him before handling him. His previous owner said he is more active and social right after a bath. He doesn't freak out for the bath and is actually very good for it. I take him out and hold him and he doesn't quill up. Doesn't bite. I have him in a towel and he often comes out of the towel to lay down on my arm and bury his head into me. I don't use any shampoo, just a warm quick bath to help him stop quilling. Am I doing it wrong?

Bathing too often can dry out a hedgehog's skin very quickly. You may want to change how you approach bonding. There are several threads on this forum about bonding with hedgehogs. Take a look at those.

I highly recommend sitting with him in a quiet room and allowing him to explore around on you. Use a fleece blanket and place it over him to give him a place to hide and to feel secure. Let him learn that you are trustworthy.

What do you mean by 'bath'?
Do you just put a bit of water in the tub to let him walk around in or do you actually put water on his back? I give Spiny a foot bath every other day and that gets his feet clean.

But yea, giving him a bath every day might be overkill.

Just a foot bath usually. His feet do get dirty when he poops on his wheel and runs in it.

Today I had him on my stomach as I watched TV. He uncurled and explored me....started attacking my hair, like he usually does. I can't tell for sure what he is doing, but it feels like he is digging and tugging on it.

That's totally normal behavior for some hedgehogs. Usually those that are interested in hair will dig through it, biting and tugging on the hair (I had one that would bite your scalp if you let him at your hair for a moment.). If allowed to go on long enough, it is usually followed by an anointing hedgehog. Hair can be very dangerous for a hedgehog. Check him for any hair he may have gotten tangled in his quills or legs afterwards. Hair and other loose strings can quickly strangle a hedgehog's legs.

Yeah, I always clean him off after he rolled in my hair, lol.

Today he was dozing off as I was holding him. He is bonding with me quite well. Even letting other people touch him sometimes.

Back