Difficulties.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eloisewhitley

My little Eloise is a sweetheart really, and I think she's just scared at the moment, but I'd like a second opinion.

Every time I try to pick her up, she will curl up and spike her quills at me. I realize this is normal, but even when I try bearing it, she jumps and hisses and I feel terrible for scaring her /: Her breathing becomes faster and I don't exactly know what to with this problem. I can't bond with her because I can't pick her up. Any advice or hints?

I just want to be the best mommy possible haha. Thanks in advance!

Use a receiving blanket or a small piece of fleece to help pick her up and to hold her. While gloves are a no-no, a blanket is quite ok and can help with bonding with hedgehogs that are reacting like yours is currently. Plus you can use the blanket to help cover them up once they are on your lap. The blanket helps them feel a bit more secure.

With that said. How long have you had her? Is this a hedgehog you have had for a while and now you are seeing a sudden change? Is she at the age she could be quilling and is feeling discomfort when held because of it? Or is she older? If so, give her a thorough inspection, ensure that she doesn't have a quill that is poking her/stuck somewhere that is causing her pain when handled. If you cannot find a reason for her behaviour change, take her to a vet for a check up.

Back