I may have a problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiltyby_design

FuzzButt Lover.
So i just got my C&C cage built.
It took forever because im a perfectionist!:eek:
well its one HUGE cage slip into for Chloee and Ollie.
Well ollie managed to somehow get into chloee's cage at somewhere between 4:30am and 6:00am.
and i dont know how it happend. I didnt think there was any possible way he could get to her.the coroplast was up around the divider and everything. I am just so confused on how this happend.
I feel so bad that it did.
When i got up she had blood on her back just a little spot. but i couldnt see any bite marks. i looked her over many times.
What are the chance he may have mated with her =[

She had blood on her back, you can just about guarantee babies in 35+ days. How old is Chloee?

Males and females are ingenious at getting into each others cages. C&C cages are easy to escape especially if there is no lid and even then, if they are determined enough, they can squeeze through the grid openings.

chloee was 8 months old when i got her and jve had her about 2-3 months. maybe 4 at the most. so almost a year old im guessing.
omg =[
im so nervous,. i dont know anything about hedgehogs having babies and what im supposed to do. I feel like such a bad hedgemom =[

IMG_5464-1.jpg

This is a pic of what i found.

That blood is normal and shows they have bred. It is either from his paws or his chin. Blood on the back is always one thing I look for when I have a pair together.

Make certain there is no way he or she can escape again. Mark 28 days and 35 days from breeding on the calendar. 28 days is the last day you can clean her cage other than a spot cleaning nightly. 35 days is her due date but it can vary up to 55 days.

Put her in a separate room so she has a quiet out of the way place for her pregnancy and babies. She will need a large sterlite bin as a nursery cage. Make sure it is 16" high and make a well ventilated lid for it. Once she has the babies, you won't need the lid as long as it is high enough. Two weeks prior to her due date, move her to the bin and remove her wheel. She will need a nest box. I find a 10" x 12" dark coloured sterlite bin with a 4" hole cut in the side works great. Some use igloos but when you lift an igloo the nest gets disturbed which you don't want.

She will need either white carefresh, kiln dried pine or aspen as bedding in the nursery cage and give her toilet paper as a nesting material.

Make sure the room she is in is warm and quiet and she won't need to be moved from it in the next 3-4 months while she is pregnant and the babies weaning.

Oh goodness. I dont have any advice, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

I forgot to mention. Start weighing her immediately and weigh every 4-5 days and keep track of the weight. Also, keep note of her food intake and at about day 25, start to slowly introduce Royal Canin baby Cat into her current food mix.

I also suggest you research vets and have a couple lined up as well as emergency vets that are hedgehog knowledgeable and can deal with things such as prolapsed uterus, c-sections, uterine infections, stuck babies etc. Have a list ready because when something goes wrong, that is not the time to be trying to find a vet. Emergency vets are expensive so have a vet fund ready.

Back