mating and biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pekodinky

Ok I've been considering mating my female hedgie for a while now as she had sucessful litter once before. I've reasearched about it for 6 months now and feel ready to breed her. I have a suitable male and have had them supervised while they were introduced and seems to get on fine. I've put her in his cage tonight and they eventually began mating but he was biting her on her back. It didn't seem to be hard and she wasn't objecting in anyway. After I put her back in her cage I noticed she had a smudge of something on her back. It is a browny red which could be blood but I can't see any bit marks or where it could have come from. Is this biting common in hedgehog mating? Could it be blood or the foam they make when they are annoiting?

I think you may need to do a bit more research on breeding. I suggest you leave them in their separate cages until you have researched more and pray that she is not pregnant even though they've mated.

From what I read its normal for a male hedgehog to bite the female while mating. The blood you found is probably from the males mouth. The females quills probably poked him in the mouth causing slight breeding.

I'm not sure as her quills were soft and flat while they mated

Back