Hedgehog???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pickles

Hi i've researched hedgehogs loads and i'm positive i want 1 and can take good care of 1 and I'm 18 a college student and responsible. I have found a little baby albino hedgehog and just need to convince my mother to let me keep it in the house before I tell the breeder I want it. But my mother and every 1 else i say it to think i'm crazy and can't grasp the concept of a hedgehog being a pet. They all jump to the conclusion that its cruel and hedgehogs belong in the wild and don't take in the fact that african pygmy hedgehogs are bred to be pets. And they all think that hedgehogs wouldn't make good pets!

Does anyone else have this frustrating problem when talking about having or wanting a hedgehog?

What can be said to illustrate that it isn't cruel and they make good pets?

Thanks for any advice!

Have you shown mom pet websites for hedgehogs? Maybe some images of hedgehogs looking happy with their owners may help. Or perhaps mom needs to visit the albino baby to see what a pet hedgehog is like.

I think for those of us in America & Canada we don't have the wild animal issue really. Hedgehogs are found in the wild on this side of the world.

Have you shown mom pet websites for hedgehogs? Maybe some images of hedgehogs looking happy with their owners may help. Or perhaps mom needs to visit the albino baby to see what a pet hedgehog is like.

I think for those of us in America & Canada we don't have the wild animal issue really. Hedgehogs are found in the wild on this side of the world.

I supose its different in Ireland hedgehogs are just thought of as wildlife and very few people have heard of keeping them as pets.

Thanks for the advice my mom isn't exactly an animal person (complete oposite to me) so I don't think meeting a hedgehog will make a difference.

I will try showing her some sites and and photos hopefully it will work I already have every thing planned for getting the albino baby!!!

Just a tought here, I might be crazy but I'd better tell it. If I where you, I'd be really sure you mom is ok before bringing the hedgie at homt, because if she really thinks they belong to the wild (and doesn't see the difference) that would be sad if one day you're not there she just releases him/her in the wild. Just a tought.

Don't worry I've told her they need certain temperatures and our weather is always bad so she wouldn't release it.

I'm not going to get one until she agrees anyway even if it does mean i'll miss out on the little albino baby I found for sale from a breeder or if it means waiting untill I move out.

Put toghether a lot of info on hedgie and showed it to my mom . . . . . . . . .. . . she said yes!

Getting my albino baby hedgie in 2 weeks!

Thats awesome. Congrats!!! Im getting my first lil guy in about 2 weeks as well

Congratulations! When I decided I was ready for a hedgehog, all it took for mom to agree was taking her into a pet store and showing her the cute little baby I had my eye on. As soon as the baby woke up and yawned, mom was hooked. Dad took a little more work, but he eventually gave in.

Ha don't think that would work with my mom I showed her a pic of the hedgie im getting after she agreed to get him and she thinks he looks like an alien cos he's albino (which I think is funny). She just isn't interested in animals is always nice to them and empathetic towards them tho!

attachment.php

Last edited:
My parents were doubtful, but I convinced them using statistics and facts.
=3

My parents were doubtful, but I convinced them using statistics and facts.
=3

I kinda did the same did loads of research and made loads of notes and put it all together with lots of arguements for why I should get 1. (I think the amount of effort I put in is what really convinced!)

How on earth did I miss your post with an albino picture in it! What a doll! I love albinos though.

Back