Caught off gaurd..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

I am from the chin side. I have 2 chins.
I live in AZ where hedgehogs are illegal, however a horder had her animals confiscated and there was 12 baby hedgehogs some not weaned yet and I was given a phone call since I wanted a hedgie since I was 10 but couldn't.
Since I never thought I would really get one until I move out of state, I have done minimal research.
So if the baby hedgies get a clean bill of health, I will be getting one since these will be regulated as "Rescues" and therefore legal :)
I would get an adult, but it looks like they mostly will be put down because of either health or severe temperament I was told (Which I hope at least they look into larger rescues who can deal with that)
My questions are
1. Do they do better in pairs? I usually always do pairs for my mammals.
2. I know to feed mealworms (Works because I have reptiles) but whats a good name for pellet food? What are good treats?
3. Do I need a heat lamp? My house is 72 usually, but I do live where temps are 100-113 on a average day.
4. Where do I buy those cubes wire things that you make cages out of?

Any other advice much appreciated! Thanks

Would you please pm me the name and contact information of the people that have them. I'm certain Hedgehog Welfare can help and they shouldn't be put down just because of temperament when they are probably scared to death.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm also new, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

For food, you should mix 3 or more high quality cat foods - you'll want the protein to be around 30%, and I think the fat should be no higher than 15%. You also want to make sure the first 5 or so ingredients are meat or meat based. From what I've read, this is what most people are feeding, and what I'm feeding my new little hedgie, Dexter.

I think the only times that hedgies do okay in pairs is if they are both female... I think males will fight. They are solitary creatures, and most people, unless breeding, keep only 1.

You're heatlamp question I can't answer, but hopefully someone will come along that can.

As for those cube things, do you have a target near you? That's where I got mine from... anyway, good luck!

"Temperament" is a totally bogus reason for putting a hedgehog to sleep. I hope that the organization can be persuaded to reconsider. As Nancy said, they are probably terrified. Even if they are unsocialized, they can still be helped. I adopted a four year old hedgehog who was completely unsocialized and was the huffiest, angriest hog I've ever seen. By the time she passed away two years later, she was a total sweetheart and loved to have her chin tickled.

I have a rescue ready to pick the hedgies up so they don't have to be euthanized. Please send me information on where they are. I have also pm'd you.

Update:
Three adults had to be put down do to serious illness, , and the remaining seven are in serious bad condition, however they have found a rescue that mainly deals with chinchillas/rabbits/ferrets.
There was a total of 5 babies, and three have passed away. The 2 mothers have stopped feeding and they weren't in the best condition anyways. The other 2 are being hand fed, however for one of the babies it does not look good.
I was told I could not take a baby because of the paperwork with giving the adults it is now documented and I don't have a permit to keep them and I am not a rescue.
I will keep you guys posted on any updates

*And the first number of babies was incorrect, there was a total of 15 adults and babies

Oh gosh, best of luck with them, I hope Nancy can help! Keep us updated!

An ideal update from Euphoric would be the location so that the rescue stations, who are very familiar with hedges can actually help...

Hmm...well, I hope Eurphoric comes back with more info soon!

Standing Bear of the Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue has been phoning all over that area trying to find out where these hedgehogs are. All he gets is answering machines and nobody is replying even though he has a toll free phone number. Until Euphoric says what shelter they were at or gives some contact information, there is not much more that can be done.

Back