Cutting nails when and how?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pekodinky

I've just seen the veterinary nurse and she said my hedgies nails weren't long enough to cut, she said that if she cut them it is likely they would bleed. (She had never treated a hedgie before.)

I think they are long enough to cut but this is my first time cutting a hedgie's nails as well. They are about 4mm long.

How can you tell when your hedgie needs their nails cutting?
and
What is the best thing to use when cutting them?

Thanks Nikki

When they get long they need cutting. It depends on the hog how long is too long. When you give a bath it's easier to see the pink inside the nail. If you cut this that's when it will bleed. So when it looks long enough to cut without cutting the pink, cut then. Most people seem to do a couple a day unless you're lucky enough to have one who doesn't care and just lets you do it.

I cut my hedgehogs' nails when I see a good portion of white nail. Pink is the quick and white is the safe part of the nail. I know it's a horrible explanation, but it's the best way I know to explain it. I kind of eyeball the nail and if it looks like it's beginning to curl under, I clip it. I keep a pair of nail clippers on my desk and I clip as the opportunity arises. Depending on the hog, I spread the clipping over a few nights. If I go quickly, I can usually get all four feet down before they notice what's going on. One of my girls is very good about sitting and letting me trim. Another makes me "catch" her paws and she'll tease me by offering one and pulling it away. My little guy doesn't like to be on his back and I have to give him something to annoint over while I trim.

It's all trial and error. I don't think there's a wrong way to do it, as long as you're gentle. I think everyone quicks their hog at least once, so try not to feel too badly if your little one bleeds. Dot on some cornstarch and be calm.

Penny's nails tend to curl when they get too long and I can tell she needs cutting. I usually cut her nails during bath time, which is about once a month, give or take depending on how dirty she gets. I use baby nailclippers and clip her nails while she is in the water in my sink. That way she cannot roll into a ball and she usually stays still for the most part. If you are cutting nails on your own, do have a styptic pencil or I have ever heard of flour being used to stop bleeding in case you cut the quick and it starts to bleed.

I believe styptic pencils really hurt- correct me if I am wrong-but cornstarch or flour or even clean chin dust can be used.

I also do it as the oppurtunity arises, and all 5 of my hogs are actually very good about it. I hold them in the palm of my hand and try to get a foot hanging down. It just takes some practice, and after bathtime or bathtime is probably your best bet.

My wife cuts Fiona's nails while she is giving a bath. The HH won't ball up and you can actually get the feet.

We cut when we notice that the nails look too long. Her quick is very easy to see through her nail.

I do Winston's nails in the bath too, in the kitchen sink, so it's easy for me to get to. I kind of trap him in a corner and get both feet in the same bath. I'm lucky, as he only needs his back feet clipped, and usually on the first one or two toes. He doesn't like it too much, but there's no where for him to go, so he tolerates it pretty well.

Kendra

I clip Luna's nails in the bath too. Makes it much easier when they can't ball up. I can't usually get all four feet in one sitting though, I usually do two feet one night, and then the other two a day or too later. I'll put my hand under her and get a foot between my fingers and the clip with the other hand. It takes a little practice and some trial and error. I've yet to make her bleed (**knock on wood**), but I've got some styptic powder on hand just in case.

Back