Reptile sand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pickles

Does any1 use reptile sand for the floor of their hedgehog cages or for litter? Its suposed to be a good conductor of heat but I don't know if its safe to use???

Any help appriecated thanks

I know Winston would occasionally get litter stuck to his penis before I changed it over, so sand might do the same, cos they're so low to the ground. I'd be worried about him sniffing it up by accident as he's always sniffing around looking for things

Kendra

I have seen on sites that chinchilla sand can be used for litter and the reptile sand I would get has no added colours or chemicals I've also heard of hiding mealworms in a box of chinchilla sand so the hedgie can dig them out I haven't heard of using reptile sand tho

Sorry to repeat what was already mentioned but I wouldnt consider repitle or chin sand safe. I can easily get into all of his bits. Eye, ears, nose, private bits. I personally wouldnt risk it. Sand also can get too hot or too cold if the temperature slips either way. Wouldnt sand clump up when it gets wet as well? And clean up.. I cant imagine having that kicked out if the cage and having to clean that up all the time on top of the poos and wheel.

There are other alternatives such as fleece liners. No chance of it getting anywhere it shouldnt. If you would like a dig box, take strips(or shape cut outs to be cute) of fleece and put it in a box. You can hide the mealworms in there and your hedgehog will have a blast in their dig box.

I have one hedgehog that perfers his dig box to his hidey house.

Ok thanks ill prob use fleece liners then for the cage any advise on best litter???

:thumbsup:

Ok thanks ill prob use fleece liners then for the cage any advise on best litter???

:thumbsup:

A small fudge pan with some paper towels is the easiest. You just take out the paper towel the next day and replace it. Super easy, fast and safe!

You've been given great advice ..I just wanted to state that I don't even use "reptile sand" for my reptiles! It is too fine.. clumps very, very easily -- therefore a huge impaction risk ...and it has additives beyond funky, unnatural colors, etc.

Only one of my snakes is on sand ..but it's nursery grade, organic, play sand ..smooth edges, etc.

I'm glad you asked here, beforehand.. ;)

You've been given great advice ..I just wanted to state that I don't even use "reptile sand" for my reptiles! It is too fine.. clumps very, very easily -- therefore a huge impaction risk ...and it has additives beyond funky, unnatural colors, etc.

Only one of my snakes is on sand ..but it's nursery grade, organic, play sand ..smooth edges, etc.

I'm glad you asked here, beforehand.. ;)

I'm glad too . . . I'm new to the exotic pet thing so far I've just had common pets like cats dogs gerbils rabbits and fish!

The sand I was going to get did say no additives or unnatural colours and was just the natural colour amn't going to risk the hedgie getting sand up his nose or any other places tho!!!

Thanks for all the advice its great help!!!! :thanks10:

Back