Playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

I have 2 male hedgies. I know they can't, shouldn't, be housed together, but for supervised playtime, can they be together? They're about 2 months old, brothers and seem to get along. I know males and females are always a no-no, and females are ok, but how about males?

As far as I know, if you supervise them and they get along, then I guess it's ok. But I could be wrong. The more experienced hedgie parents will probably agree or correct me. :)

It depends on the boys. Some males are very aggressive towards another and could cause serious injury very quickly. Others don't have quite as much of an issue with another male. If you do let them try playtime, watch for any aggressive behaviour and separate immediately. At 2 months old they are still babies and the aggressive behaviour probably won't have started yet. Keep close watch.

That's what I thought, but we need to rebuild so I figured I would ask. They're ignoring each other right now. It's funny how obviouse they are trying not know about the other. Going out of the way to ignore.

When I got my second hedgie, he was two months old and my first was about 5 months old. I wanted to see if I could put them in the same playpen with me, so I could have them out at the same time. When they encountered each other, they both balled up and huffed at each other, and Jack's visor got caught on Spike's visor. I was worried that Jack (who only has one eye) would get injured if near Spike again. So even though neither showed aggressive behaviour, even their defensive behaviour can have dangerous effects.

If I have them both out at the same time, I use my legs as a barrier between them. They will stay on their respective sides of me and there's no contact to worry about.

I've heard some pretty nasty stories about males attacking each other, so I just wouldn't risk it.

All went well last night with them. They stayed completely away from each other. Spock wanted to eat the carpet, and Kirk just wanted to follow the cats around.

Awesome... that's pretty funny... did your cats notice the hedgies at all?

Twila stared and wandered around. They've all seen each other, cats got stuck, so now their carefull. She stared and was confused. Fred kept coming over and looking at them and then running away. He spends the most time in the room they live in so they know his smell, and really seem to want him. If he's around they follow him, he freezes, they walk under him and stop and stand, and he runs away. Start over. It's funny. I'll see if I can get a video to post.

As long a they are well supervised, there shouldn't be a problem. Although I'm sure that their natures go into it as well. If one is particularly aggressive - no chance!

Back