Tips on how to bond with my hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pekodinky

I have had my hedgie for 3 days now and she will explore on my hand and when I place her on the sofa but it takes her a little while each time I wake her up to get used to me touching her and she will sometimes curl into a ball, I know this is normal but I would like any tips on the best ways to bond with my hedgie so she can be confident around me and take treats off me as she won't do this yet. I talk to her in a soothing voice and stroke her quills is this ok? Thanks Nikki

My hedgie took aabout a week to get used to me and she can still be puffy at times. No hedgie is perfect but there are plenty of things to make them a bit more pleasannt around you. The first thing you could do is dim the lights. While some hedgies don't react to light any differently than to dark,a lot of hedgies are terrified of light. Another tip is to leave something with your smell in her cage. Preferably a sock or a t-shirt that you have been wearing. This will give your hedgie a chance to learn ad get used to your smell. Also, it could just be that she does not like the treats you are providing her. It varies dpending on the hedgehog but some hedgehogs are very picky when it comes to treats. Keep on trying multiple treats over and over so that you get an idea of what she enjoys and doesn't enjoy. Rubbing a hedgie and talking to her in a soothing voice can be very effective to some hedgies and as long as she enjoys it, there is no reason to stop doing it. Hope this helps and keep us updated!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nikki, she sounds fine to me. Some hedgehogs bond more quickly than others. One method I like to use when bonding is to hold them on my lap or on my chest (if I'm reclining), put a blanket over me and the hedgehog and allow the hedgehog to snuggle/cuddle with me or to explore around on me. I also talk to the hedgehog and occasionally touch the hedgehog while they are moving around under the blanket. I have had excellent luck using this method to bond with hedgehogs.

The blanket provides some security as they don't feel out in the open. Being on your lap or chest allows them to get used to your scent, your movements, and even your voice.

Everyone seems to have their own methods for bonding, this one is mine. It has worked well for with a variety of hedgehogs, including a scared, mistreated rescue as well as one that was just jumpy to any motion in the room around him.

When I got mine he was already 8 months but I worked hard to get him to bond. Each night I would set up a large play area and sit in there with him so he could crawl on me and get use to my scent, and i would pick him up if he came near me and talk soothing. When I am home and he is sleeping I put a hooded sweatshirt on backwards and place him in the hood, right now he has been there for 3 hours and I am abe to do whatever I need to and he is hearing me and smelling me, good luck

This worked really well for us, we simpley took a strip of towel and wore it somewhere close for 8 hours on skin or hair. Then we put the towel into her cage. She got used to our sents and therefor used to us really fast.

It took my hedgie a very long time to warm up to me. I've had her for about 6 months now and she finally loves me! :)
What I did & what seemed to work best was sleeping in an old tshirt for a few nights to get your scent on it. Then place the shirt (make sure there are no loose strings on the shirt for the hedgehog's toes to get wrapped up in) in the cage for the hedgehog to cuddle up in. (Annie personally loves to burrow underneath shirts.) After a few days of your shirt being in there, the hedgehog should be more used to your smell.
While this shirt is in the cage, you can sleep in another shirt and then begin to alternate the shirts to keep your smell in the cage continuously.
Now when I put my hands near Annie, she knows my smell and quickly will uncurl if she's in a ball.
This takes time though...just keep working with your hedgie. :)

Carmen has found much comfort laying on my chest or lap. She doesn't like to exlore, she much prefers to snuggle. Also, she likes to be heldin a sitting up position with my hand covering her paws and belly. =3
Not sure if cuddle tactics help. ^^;;;

Back