worst hair ring check - 1st time!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

Hi! I had the worst experience checking for hair rings yesterday. I was so nervous because I wanted to do it correctly. I've had them for a year now and after doing research on the forum, I decided to start checking for hair rings monthly now. When checking yesterday, I had so much difficulty taking it out. When it did come out, I wanted to check but my chins always start wiggling around at this time. What makes me feel worst is that they made little yelping noises like they were in pain. I couldn't bear hearing it and I was afraid of what I was doing so I put them back in the cage and ended it there.

I watched videos online before starting and did research too but when it came down to it, I had trouble. How do people do it so smoothly? I really need help here. I have two boys and they would hump each other at least once a day. I don't want to hold out too long. How do I train to do this more proficiently? What am I doign wrong? Can someone tutor me please?

Try using some KY jelly to help the penis out of the sheath easier. The chin will most likely naturally squirm and may even make the scared yelp, but as long as you are being firm but gentle you shouldn't be hurting him. You can try making a chin burrito by wrapping him up in a towel. When I'm doing hair ring checks I usually cover their heads with the towel as well as I believe it helps them calm down a bit more. Usually I have someone hold the chin while I do the check.

It is much easier to do it with a 2nd person. I usually have my husband hold the chin against his body, with the chin facing me. As long as he has a firm hold of the chin, I can get in there and do my business quickly, and get out :p

They will squeak at you sometimes, they just don't want anyone messing with their private parts.

Hair ring checks get easier with practice, both for you and your chins. I try to make it part of my monthly check-up-my boy gets his weight and teeth checked, then it's on to the hair ring check. He used to squirm a lot as well, but now he knows that if he sits through these not-so-pleasant tasks he'll get something in return. I alternate between a piece of shredded wheat and a rose hip, just to keep him guessing :)
But really, it's just a matter of you and your chins getting comfortable with the procedure. Before long it'll just be another part of the routine.

I have problems too checking for hair rings. I finally got it out just alittle the other day, but not enough of it came out. Usually if I have to go to the vet, I ask her to do the hair ring check, because it is hard to get used to, but I'm sure we both will in time. It's important to do, so with practice, makes perfect, right?!

The first time I tried I couldn't even get it out, now at least I can get it out alittle, just need to get it out all the way. But like I said, time will help and it will become easier.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion about the towel stacie, I do burrito for other things, but never thought about trying that for a hairring check.

Jean

I don't enjoy doing this either but I have a husband who will help by holding Marble still. Chin's don't like being held so they can't move, the wiggling and squirming is normal you just have to be patient and find a way to work with it. It also helps to frequently pick up your chin and give him health checks -pick him up and check his feet for injuries look in his ears and even his mouth if he will let you at least once a week. In time he will grow used to being handled like this so hair ring checks and vet visits (when something goes wrong) will be easier. We as pet owners will always be the ones to make the decision that our animals need medical attention.

Around how old do males start the whole humping thing and when should hair rings checks begin being given? Mine are only 2 1/2 months but this whole hair ring thing is freaking me out. I should have gotten a female haha.

LOL Lydz...but then, the females tend to spray urine. Take your pick!:thinking:

3chinbaby and Jean where are you located at? I have so many to check all the time around here that I can practically do it in my sleep. If I can help you out let me know.

I find KY makes it much harder. I can do it one person easily, I hold them back against my stomach, and feet on my legs, while I sit. I basically use one hand to pull back the sheath and then that same hand to remove the hair. If I have help, then it is no problem at all. The video is your best bet, and just be patient. The chins can probably sense that you are super freaked out so they are too!

My husband and I did 3 of them for the first time couple days ago. I showed him the
video and i held them. It went really smooth. We kept very calm and i kept telling them
what a good boy they were. We did find a clump of hair and ring around one of the chins.
Husband put the ky jelly on and removed the ring and the chin was very happy when
it was done and removed. When i hold them, i'm also holding their feet firmly so they
can't sqirm or wiggle; and reasurring them constantly.

Back