Heat sources ...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kenji

Kenji currently lives in the bathroom at the farm, where there is a space heater that pumps out the most glorious heat known to mankind. (I am ALWAYS cold, so I like to hang out in the bathroom a lot! LOL!).

However, due to summer coming up and due to the fact that it isn't my house that he lives in, the space heater will have to be shut off soon.

SOOOO ... what is the BEST and most effective source of heat for a glass cage that you all have found to be foolproof?

I get paid tomorrow so I have about $50-100 to spend on Kenji tomorrow. (I'm splurging as I have overtime in this paycheck!) He's going to get more toys, possibly a bigger & better cage and mealworms! Plus an alternative heat source for his cage.

Any and all suggetions are greatly appreciated!

First off if you are going to get a bigger cage, get it and then we can best offer suggestions for heating. Different cages have different heating options. The best heating I've found is a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat. The ceramic heat emitter produces heat but no light. A plastic bottomed, wire topped cage is best for this setup. The heat emitter/thermostat is ideal because the cage will be the temperature your hedgehog requires and the rest of the room will be the temperature you like.

I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid but ummm how do they function? *blush* do you rig them up to a light fixture or are they battery operated? (I've never seen/used one before and after looking them up I'm all sorts of confused. I blame being overworked and lack of sleep today! Sorry!)

they are much like a lamp. You need to buy a specific ceramic lamp and then put the ceramic heat emitting bulb in it.

You cannot put a ceramic heat emitting bulb in a regular light socket as it will melt it.

You then plug the heat emitter into the thermostat and plug the thermostat in the wall. You then put the heat probe in the bottom of the cage and it should regulate the temperature after you set the thermostat.

Thank you! We changed his cage the other day (bigger & better) and still have the heater on in the bathroom. (He has a thermometer hooked onto the cage where he can't get to it so I can regulate the heat!) We're going shopping for heat sources this weekend. *wee*

Back