Amount of food ...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kenji

Being a new owner of a hedgie I did a lot of research online. Unfortunately nothing I researched gave me a specific amount of daily food to feed Kenji. He's a year old and I don't want to over feed him. He didn't eat much over the weekend (we brought him home Friday) and he's been eating like crazy since Sunday night. Right now he's just receiving kibble, his dish holds about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup. Since Sunday night and up to this morning it's been refilled 2 times.

Is this amount too little or too much?

You should give him fresh food at least once or twice a day and toss out the old stuff. I give about 1/2 cup I would say, they usually have a little left in the morning.

Okay so I'm not feeding him too much then ... *wipes brow* Thank goodness. Thank you!

I would suggest free feeding. Don't worry about feeding him too much... but, I normally give my hedgies 1/4 of a cup, and that's mostly gone in the morning...

Most hedgehogs will not over eat. I provide 2 tablespoons of fresh food daily to mine. If they eat all of that, I increase the amount the next evening. Any left overs, I throw away and start with new the next evening.

Back