Any safe pesticides around chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Hello, as it turns the weather is getting very nice and warm and I have been having some issues with house centipedes and spiders. I have sprayed on the outside of my home but still been seeing these pest. The house centipedes are one of the worst things I have ever seen!! I am terrified to spray anything however I found some kid and pet friendly organic pesticides but it still scares me to use. Tried to find some of the roach hotels if you all are familiar with those but just made for ants. Please help and if guys use anything in your home that you feels safe! I let my chins out by the way for out time play and this is what worries me....

You're setting yourself up for more problems by killing predatory bugs like centipedes and spiders. They're only there because you have another kind of bug they want to eat. So, if you find what they're eating, they'll go looking elsewhere for food.

There are websites that can give you an idea of what kind of bugs you might have, but places where you see water damage or smell mold/mildew are a good place to start looking. Likewise, check your pantry and any stored pet food. Look in areas near where you see the centipedes and spiders. Then, when you figure out where the bugs are, look for a box of Diatomaceous Earth, food grade. It's a white powder that's basically teeny tiny pieces of seashell; you should be able to find it at a garden center or nursery. When bugs crawl through it, the sharp parts cut open their exoskeletons and they dry out. Then the whole area can be swept clean with a Shop Vac, bugs, powder and all. As long as the chins don't walk through the diatomaceous earth, it can't do anything to them, and it'll take care of the bugs without using chemicals.

But please, understand, the centipedes and spiders aren't your problem even though they're scary to you. They're trying to *help* you, and they can't hurt the chinchillas.

My first suggestion would be to look in your area for a reputable pest technician. They will know best what to use in your area for what type of pest problems you are having. House centipedes can bite, and from what I understand it isn't pleasant. Spiders can be a problem as well, and if they are inside, life can be uncomfortable for you and your loved ones. I personally wouldn't bother using any of the organic pesticides as they generally do not do much. If hiring a professional is out of the question then I would recommend buying some quality glue boards. Don't bother with the plastic trays filled with glue. They aren't very good and do not catch nearly as well as the cardboard ones. You can order a box of 72 glue boards from sites like domyownpestcontrol.com good brands are catch master or protecta or trapper. If you have a choice, choose the pre baited peanut butter traps. You can set those up inside your kitchen or bathroom areas where you do not let your chins roam around in. Seriously though, you'll get the most good by having the exterior of the house sprayed by a professional. That will reduce the vast majority of insects and will greatly reduce the total number you see coming into your home. If you don't want to hire someone and are bent on trying to remedy the problem yourself, send me a message and I'll give you some suggestions. I do pest control for a living and deal with these types of situations day in and day out.

We had stink beetles and crickets that invaded our house last summer. We sprayed outside and put homemade molasses traps inside where we thought they were coming in. The spray we got was the Ace Hardware brand of Ortho Max and it worked very well. We sprayed about once a month in spring, summer, and fall. I definitely recommend spraying outside. We also have spiders, but I don't mind them and they don't mind me. We saw 2 centipedes over the winter, in the middle of our living room, likely looking for food. I hope you can figure out where/why your's are coming in and get rid of them. They freak me out a lot!

A centipede bite can vary from hardly visible to exceptionally painful. Lots of people Examine it to sensation just like a bee sting. Except if you might be allergic for the venom or are in extremely inadequate well being, a centipede bite isn’t significantly dangerous get know here

Back