How far do you run?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of those magnet locations were quickly discovered by Greyson and the magnet was promptly removed. Julie, did you put yours in the same place?

No. I have hedgehogs that are entirely too nosey and would have discovered it quickly as well.

I attached mine to the skate itself. I rocked my buckets a bit and found that there is one side that tends to always go to the bottom. With the bucket in that position, I attached the magnet to the top of the skate.

My buckets have a V-shaped back support, I attached the sensor near the top of one of those pipes. Attached the monitor to the other side, and shoved the extra wire into the pipe itself.

I also didn't use the magnets that came with the computer. It was suggested somewhere that I get different magnets to use from a hobby store.

Both of those magnet locations were quickly discovered by Greyson and the magnet was promptly removed.
There’s less than an inch between the backside of the wheel and the cage wall. It’s virtually impossible for our hedgie to get at the magnet, especially it’s buried deep in a mound of Handi-Tak. The wheel also has “a lip” to securely hold the magnet into place hiding it from cage habitants. However, the magnet on the wheel on a stand is accessible, so I guess it means both our hedgies are less of monkeys than Greyson and Kalandra’s charges. Lucky me!

I bought a set of strong magnets from the hobby store.
A good idea! I had never thought of using a stronger magnet. The reason why I placed the magnet and sensor where they are is that a bike computer (especially an inexpensive one) doesn’t work very well unless the distance between the magnet and sensor is VERY close. In other words, I had no choice but to mount the magnet at the highest point on the wheel so that the distance to the sensor was the shortest. If you have a stronger magnet, you probably can pick virtually any place within its magnetic field. Which allows you to mount the magnet where your hedgie or hamster can’t reach. April, maybe you can position the magnet closer to the bearing unit/the centre of the wheel :confused:

I highly recommend stronger magnets. I got mine just so that I would have a greater number of options for magnet/sensor placement. Plus the magnet that came with the computer is bulky (unless you remove it from the plastic it comes in).

My buckets have a V-shaped back support.

Ahh mine have a straight back (upsidedown "T") so there is no room between the skate wheel and the back. I'll look around on-line to find what a "v" back looks like (how it is built). Maybe I can adjust my wheels to make this work. Thanks! I am determined to put Greyson on a hedgometer! I will not be outsmarted by a hedgehog.:neener:

The great thing about the stronger magnets is that my sensor is not pointed directly at the magnet, it is attached angled outwards a little, allowing me to attach where I did. The magnet is strong enough that it still trips the sensor.

I found this thread about a month ago and thought "Wow! How did I not already think of this?!" I received my odometer and installed it tonight, and I'm looking forward to PigPen's mileage! My friends were so excited about it, they insisted I set up a twitter page tracking his progress. So, thanks older posts!!

Back