Any Edmonton-based hedgehog rescues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
We're moving at the beginning of April and I have some hedgehog stuff that is no longer in use. I'd like to donate it if I can. Is there a rescue in Edmonton I could contact to see if they might want some wheels and a brand new bag of Yesterday's News?

The humane society takes in hedgehogs and also takes in other small animals who would be able to use a lot of the stuff I'm sure.

I think the McDonald Family Rescue also takes in hedgehogs.. they take in everything else lol. http://www.themcdonaldrescue.com/main_page.html

Not sure if NASAP does or not, though I've never seen any listed.

As far as I'm aware there is no strictly hedgehog rescue.

The person I spoke to at the SPCA wanted a receipt for the stuff, which I don't have. I asked the McDonald rescue about it months ago (I know one of the daughters - Vette came from the rescue) and no one ever replied. I tried twice.

Thanks though.

You write on a piece of paper, X # of wheel, 1 bag of Yesterdays news, etc donated to _______________ by Courtney ______________.

Sign it and date it. There's your receipt.

I've have never heard of having to give a receipt to donate items. Usually if a receipt is given, the organization on the receiving end is giving the donator a receipt for the value of the items donated.

That's what I figured too, so maybe the person was new or misunderstanding me. I thought they'd be glad to get 3 or 4 wheels, some litter and possibly a bunch of other stuff. It's all clean and gently used, and I'm sure they can turn around and sell it to other people.

I'll call again and see if I get a different person. If they still want a receipt, I'll write one out like you said.

I'm having huge difficulty with the SPCA because they have no idea what to do with hedgies that are released to them (they can't even confirm sex). I'm trying to be set up as a foster for any hedgies but haven't had a lot of success yet. I'm sure they would be happy to have some of the stuff though.

Why not give the things to April. She is an HWS certified rescue or there's also Nikki in Manning who is also a HWS rescue.

That works! April, would you have use for some Comfort Wheels and Yesterday's News, among other things I might be able to find while packing?

I think I have 3 regular sized Comfort Wheels plus one regular sized that had the stand shortened a bit. I have a full bag of YN, possibly some other toys and if your gang eats it, a nearly full bag of Innova (not Evo). My gang is kind of touch and go, but they prefer other foods.

That's odd that they'd want a receipt, I've taken them tonnes of stuff over the years. At Christmas it took me 3 trips to the car to take in everything that was I donating and I just dropped it off up front and said hey, here's some stuff for the animals and left. I didn't get a tax receipt from them because.. well I just didn't really care about getting one, and they've never needed anything either. Sounds like it was just someone new and confused.

I'm having huge difficulty with the SPCA because they have no idea what to do with hedgies that are released to them (they can't even confirm sex). I'm trying to be set up as a foster for any hedgies but haven't had a lot of success yet. I'm sure they would be happy to have some of the stuff though.

The SPCA here is the same. They have no idea about bedding, heating, food, light cycles... While I was waiting to get Irwin, he was living with a foster family who kept him on some kind of hay while they were treating him for mites. As soon as I got him I had to re-treat for mites as well as for respiratory problems caused by the dusty hay. He would have done better if they'd just let me take him right away.

That's odd that they'd want a receipt, I've taken them tonnes of stuff over the years. At Christmas it took me 3 trips to the car to take in everything that was I donating and I just dropped it off up front and said hey, here's some stuff for the animals and left. I didn't get a tax receipt from them because.. well I just didn't really care about getting one, and they've never needed anything either. Sounds like it was just someone new and confused.

That's what I was thinking too, but I'll give April first dibs if she wants anything.

PS - If anyone else in Edmonton might want to grab some stuff when I figure out exactly what I have, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm not looking for any money, just for someone to give the items a good home and more use. Rescues will get first dibs, though.

I, too, have tried to contact the SPCA to give them chin stuff, and offer to be a foster home. They never did get back to me, so I dropped it. I guess even if I tried it sounds like I wouldn't get much of anywhere.

I, too, have tried to contact the SPCA to give them chin stuff, and offer to be a foster home. They never did get back to me, so I dropped it. I guess even if I tried it sounds like I wouldn't get much of anywhere.

I'm going to touch base with them again. I have met the foster coordinator a few times and I know they are busy but I've been at them for months. An answer either way would be nice.

Courtney - The food and YN would be best given to the SPCA (because they can use it right away and for several types of animals). But I am always open to more wheels (they never go out of style around here :laughitup:). I like having a variety on hand because they all seem to have different preferences. Send me a PM to let me know what works for you to pick them up/drop them off. If/when we do anymore hedgie trains I can also send/bring wheels to Nikki if she needs 'em. This is very generous, thank-you.

Back