Green Poops...Stress or something else?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catahstrophic

Sonic seemed to be getting comfortable. She was running on her wheel and seemed really happy.

The other night we were making stuffed bell peppers, and I took a little of the meat [no seasoning] and gave it to her to eat.

The next morning there was SO much poop around her cage. Liquidy poop though.

And today she has been having some green poops still. Could it be because of the meat? I though ground beef was okay? Apparently she doesn't like it. Or is she stressed? I should be receiving her new cage liners any day now, and I just hope she doesn't have diahrrea type poop all over them every day :(

It could be from the meat. How long have you had her? It could be a combination of new home and new food.

She could have a sensitive tummy. Certain foods, even ones that are on the okay list, sometimes give Maserati a little upset stomach, causing green poo. Others are no problem. It just depends on the individual hedgie in a lot of cases. You may wait a while until things really settle to try it again, only a very small amount, and see how she does. :)

I figured it was just the meat.

But also her tail/hiney is REALLY red and pink. Like it's irritated. Could this be due to the green diharrea? I feel so bad :(

Last edited:
As long as the poo is solid and normal texture, the bit of green may remain for a couple of days. Don't give her anything different to eat until she is back to normal.

She's sitll having them. And they're not solid. :/ I dunno if it's because we've had to give her more baths lately and she hates them and it's stressing her out? But we have to, because she poops everywhere and gets it all over her feet.

She's still having them and they aren't solid.
Maybe it's cause we're giving her more baths because she gets the poop all over her, so we have to bathe her more and it stresses her out because she HATES baths?

Her poops had cleared up for awhile. But they're back again. She had poop ALL over her cage, diarrhea like. I was just disheartened.

I remember looking at a vet bill post on this board, and just discouraged at the prices. This past week I had gotten into a car accident and had a surgery. So the money situation is a bit tight. And I was afraid of like a $200 vet visit.

After calling a hospital in my area, I found out her visit is like only $35 and the test to check on her poo poo is like $16. I feel relieved.

Now I have to arrange a ride [no car...ugh] for hopefully tomorrow. I can't today because I have to work until 6 right after I get out of my class. But I can schedule it hopefully between two classes tomorrow. I have a 2 hours break. So I'm hoping that will work.

Wish us luck! I'm sure she'll hate the trip, but I just hope she feels better soon!

Alright so Sonic and I just got back from the vet. The place was so nice and quick too! I got there at 12.00 for my 12.20 appointment [I work at a doctor's office, so I know going early is always appreciated]. She was weighed and had her poop tested before 12.20!

Anyway...she got tested...she had a little blood in one of her poops, probably because of how much she's been pooping and it being hot and irritating her.

The vet didn't see anything serious. But she gave us medicine for her.
We got Albon Liquid to use for 5 days, stop for 5 days, then use again for 5 days.
And we got Metronixazole Syrup to use for 5 days.
They are to help against either a bacterial enteritis or possible trichomonad.

Other than the poop and her eye [which the doctor said it doesn't seem to be bothering her and we have some drops my boss gave us since he's an eye doctor and has done exams on animals before] she seems very healthy. She's so tiny! She only weight 1/10th of a pound! HAHA! She's so little :] Maybe she was a runt or something.
But she was SO good at the office. She wasn't in her ball...we even heard them talking 'she's so active, usually they are curled up in a ball'. Hahaha. She only got puffy when the doctor tried looking at her face and stuff, because Sonic hates her eye drops, and that's how we hold her for eye drops, so I think she thought they were coming.

So we will see if this helps! I sure hope so! :D I'd love to actually put Nancy's cage liners to use! She loves her hat and bag!

So far the medication hasn't helped :/ We aren't sure as to what to do now.

I suggest you call your veterinarian to give an update on what is happening. Keep your vet informed if the situation is not getting better or if it gets worse. He/she may want to change their approach in treatment of your hedgehog.

Back