PA House Bill 1398

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm from PA. At this rate I will be dead before the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm... that leaves room for interpretation. Allow me...

Correct interpretation: you'll be working very hard to legalize hedgehogs in PA... so hard, in fact, that you'd sooner die before you allow efforts to fail.

Alternate correct interpretation: you'll be working very hard to legalize hedgehogs in PA... so hard that, if need be, you will use your last dying breath (whenever that maybe.. hopefully, not in the near future) to continue to promote hedgehog legality.

Misinterpretation: you're dismayed at the progress and figure that you will die of old age-related issues before it passes.

Hmmmmmmm Unfortunately in PA, the misinterpretation is probably actually the correct interpretation; although in other states it really would be the misinterpretation. But even though the misinterpretation may be accurate, I will follow the course of the correct interpretation!

I have seen some herp and aquarium fish PeoPle trying to protest the bill, as it may put restrictions on the reptile and fish trade? Can you get anything out of the bill that would make you believe that?

I'm by no means an expert, but reading through this I wonder if their problem is the bill does not mention anything about reptiles (unless I missed it), whether they are in the excluded or included categories. Which to me means that it leaves the bill to interpretation and because they are not clearly listed in a category that the PGC could say they are not allowed.

Thats the only thing I am wondering..which would provide them with the same problem we had with hedgehogs, I assume?

I know bird people were up in arms, but it was then changed to add that Avian is not included in the bill...

I did search a few forums, and apparently PGC doesn't control the reptile trade, looks like the fishery department does? PA has a large reptile trade so if it this bill can infact ban reptiles we may have some huge protests against the bill(myself included, as I have a beardie, and of course the fish tanks).. Hopefully the few sites I've seen is right and this bill will not control the reptile trade and it will go through without problems.

The bill itself has issues, and I've said for a long time I have mixed feelings about it. While it will legalize some animals, it isn't the best written bill. Its been through a couple of changes, we'll see if they continue to change and hopefully improve it.

I agree Julie. At first I was just excited for the hedgies and gliders, and then really started seeing the issues with the bill. It is a good starting place provided we can protect the other trades as well.

Someone just posted on my local CL in Reading PA that this was approved and it's legal to own them? Yes-no?

Per the PA website it has not passed yet. Last update was: Re-referred to APPROPRIATIONS, May 21, 2012

From what I can tell the Senate is not in session. Per the website: The Senate will reconvene at 1:00PM on September 24, 2012 unless sooner recalled by President Pro Tempore The House will reconvene at 1:00PM on September 24, 2012

I saw those postings on CL. I have to wonder if someone is confused?

there was actually a facebook page I had stumbled on as well saying hedgehogs were now legal in PA...

I emailed the person, and I flagged the post. I had just seen a hedgie on CL not a week ago, which I am sure this is stemming from, because it was flagged (not by me) but it was taken down.

You can keep up with the bill's activity here <http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billInfo/billInfo.cfm?sYear=2011&sInd=0&body=H&type=B&bn=1398>. You can also find your legislators by using the search box in the top right corner on that page, so you can write to them regarding your opinions on the bill.

Hey guys? How about an alligator. $200 I can buy him and is set up. Perfectly legal. Did I mention I am putting in a 7k gallon pond next year? He will look great with my koi no?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/3161108179.html

Oh and they just shot and killed a 5ft gator someone released in a nearby pond. Nice huh?

Yeah, as much as I love PA, I gotta admit that it is one of the most ridiculous states. Some of the rules/laws just don't make sense, whether it's pets or education or anything. I spoke to my district's senator (who is also on the appropriations board) and it seems unlikely that HB 1398 will move anytime soon. So, in the meantime, I can forget about getting a harmless little hedgie. Maybe I'll hit up the Craigslist poster and get a big, toothy pet alligator instead. :hmm:

Come feb, when they have one of the largest reptile shows in hamburg--you can walk out with a pit viper no questions asked. Maybe even a king cobra if the right seller is there! How about THAT one?

Back