I need support from fellow malo-chin owners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a term my vet dentist uses for chinchillas (who has seen 1000s of chinchillas over the 20 years of treating them) who have clinically straight teeth but wear down the occlusal surfaces unevenly-meaning they do not do a full range of motion when chewing and will leave part of the occlusal surface un-touched-this leaves points on the inner and outer edges that need to be trimmed down occasionally. These chins benefit from changes in diet and hay types to get them chewing. Horses and rabbits have evidently the same issue.

I'm hoping that my chin is a lazy chewer. The beaphar that I ordered finally arrived. He got a trim again this last weekend, it was a long rainy day. He bounced back and was able to eat on his own 12 hours after surgery. Right now, I'm only giving him beaphar, timothy hay, alfalfa, botanical, oat (jsut any variety I can get my hands on to get him to eat).

X-rays were finally sent to me by dr greek's office. Please advise.

Attachments

• Lateral whole body.jpg
    Lateral whole body.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Left Lateral Skull.jpg
    Left Lateral Skull.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Right Lateral Skull.jpg
    Right Lateral Skull.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Rostrocaudal Skull.jpg
    Rostrocaudal Skull.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 25
  • VD whole body.jpg
    VD whole body.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 13
The x-rays look like a lazy chewer-the teeth look clinically straight, the 4th x-ray-the frontal shot, you can see the nasty point that was on the rt side outer, you can see the uneven occlusal surface slanting down and right and in the x-ray number 2 you can see the points that were in the front of the forward molars, elongation looks mild. This is the type of x-rays and condition I found with my lazy chewers, the chin can benefit from diet change IMO.

Last edited:
Back