Pregnant Hedgehog fell from cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooMommy

Its horrible, I know! My female hedgehog is possibly pregnant (Due Jan 25th if she is) and last night I found her on the floor running around next to my Males cage! Her cage is on a shelf above his. I dont know how she could have gotten out, but either way...she did.
Just wondering if anyone has any imput as to how well the "ball up" affect works to protect the Hedgie? I figure she probly Balled up as she fell, I just hope the babies will be okay. Momma Hedgie is fine, no broken arms or legs, Thank goodness!:duh:

I wouldn't be so certain that she curled up at all. A lot of our very social hedgehogs don't ball up, but just fall. Or if they do ball up they start rather late and don't get completed. I've seen people post elsewhere that their hedgehog fell, didn't curl up, and then several days later they have an emergency because what seemed like a fine hedgehog was one that was hiding an internal injury.

A veterinary visit may be a very good idea for her, especially if she's pregnant. I'd be watching her for spotting of blood, how much she eats, drink, urinates and defecates.

The ball-up effect works poorly. I have a rescue with several broken toes and a broken lower jaw to prove it (all now healed thankfully). How confident are you about the date? I would suggest a vet visit if you any ANYTHING off (different eating habits, poop a different colour, bruising of any kind). Any case, pregnancy in hedgehogs is extremely challenging, so many things can go wrong, this will add to the risk. I hope you have read up on hedgie birth, it is not an easy road ahead.

That being said, you cannot now change what happened but you MUST prevent it from happening again. Seal up her cage. Move it off the shelf if you have to. Put chloroplast in it so that she cannot squeeze through the bars. I really hope she pulls through.

Thank you everyone! She is doing well, eating like crazy, running around when she comes out to play. I am not certin if she fell or climbed down, I assumed she fell because I do not think a hedgehog's sight would allow for them to "so carefuly" climb down lol. Her cage is not very high up, but either way, a fall is a fall.
I have definately done my research about hedgehog care and breeding and I am aware of the risks involved, which is why I was concerned. I will keep watching her closely for any changes that seem abnormal for a pregnant hedgehog :)

Back