Zithromax for sneezing, possible URI

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

Taro has been sneezing or coughing for a few days. Took him to Dr. Jenkins in San Diego & was prescribed Zithromax.

I've used Baytril on my other boy in the past for a more severe URI. Taro doesn't do well with Baytril (he stops eating & has to be hand fed). But I'm worried Zithromax might not be strong enough to fight off the infection. I did a search on chinsnhedgies but didn't come across any information.

Anyone used Zithromax for a URI before? Did it work ok?

Its a big guns antibiotic, it will also potentially cause loss of appetite-any time you use the big guns you risk that happening, so hand feeding is again in your future. Its a new antibiotic, I am not sure of the use in chins but its used on rabbits and guinea pigs for tough URIs and bone infections. Let me email my mentor and see what she has to say about it.

Last edited:
She emailed my back and basically has used it but would not continue, its not avaliable injectable and the couple of chins it was used on got severe gut pain and loss of appetite long after the dosing was done-it was effective but there are better alternative choices that are proven-this is a pretty new antibiotic.

ticklechin, frankly I'm worried about using this antibiotic because it's new. Don't want my chin to be a guinea pig! Should I ask for Baytril instead? I had asked about Baytril but the vet highly recommended Zithromax for infection. What would you do?

I personally as much as I HATE URIs, I would not use it due to the gut pain potential and it being very new. I use chloramphenicol for severe infections such as URIs. Baytril has issues with effectivness and when dealing with a URI that is frankly life threatening I don't chance it anymore, others may disagree but the only time I use it is in conjuction with flagyl for dental infections. I would not use it anymore for URIs.

can i get this online? He has already been diagnosed with mild cold so I don't want to pay another office visit to ask for a new medication, especially after a hefty teeth trim. Or could I call another vet to ask for the medication without a prescription?

Back