Where do pet store hedgies come from?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rose

Sorry if this is answered in a FAQ or something, but I haven't found it.

Breeders. There is a breeder here that wont sell to the public. Only to the local pet store.

Hey I see you are from South Florida.. Where at?

It depends on the pet store. Some buy from small private breeders that breed to sell to pet stores. Others come from large scale mills. Others come from wholesalers that buy from anyone selling and then they distribute to the pet stores.

I forgot to add.. some petstores breed themselves as well!

Most of the pet stores in Fl get all their animals from "animal brokers". The animal broker here that gets most of the exotics is a pretty horrid man, only cares about money, of course.

Here, each pet store I ask tells me that they get them from a breeder in Texas, and I have asked 4 different stores which makes me nervous because then people who don't know better and breed the ones they got from petstores are unsure if they are related.

What gets me is people who go to a pet store and ask where the hedgehogs come from. The answer, "a breeder". So then the person thinks these hedgehogs are from "a breeder" so they are ok to breed.

Well geez, all hedgehogs come from a breeder. Someone bred them so using reasoning that the hedgehogs are from "a breeder" is ridiculous.

Back