Paper Mache Hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HedgieMate

Mad About Geoffrey
:
: This is a cross post.
:

------------------------

It has been over 1-1/2 years since our precious Geoffrey crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I’m no longer a hedgie parent and hardly ever post here for that reason, but I still visit the forums regularly to admire other people’s adorable quilled babies. Hedgehogs always have a special spot in my heart.

Since I still think of Geoffrey quite often, I decided to commission my cousin by marriage, Lindsey, to create a papier-mâché (=paper mache) hedgehog to remember him by. Below are the photos of how it turned out.​

5318336059_58e4445f68.jpg

5318336175_b48194e500.jpg

5318336269_3a58b65e32.jpg

5318934038_695e453a76.jpg

5318336621_eb33691d98.jpg

This paper mache hedgehog is 12”L x 5”W x 7”H in size. It’s very light but sturdy. Its quills are made of toothpicks, all hand-painted. The photos simply don’t do justice how adorable and whimsical it actually looks in person!

Lindsey is a truly gifted artist. Her speciality is paper mache and she creates custom-made paper mache from photos, drawings, and/or verbal descriptions of her clients. She has created a wide range of paper mache but her whimsical cat portraits are particularly popular among her fans [click HERE for her paper mache showcase]. She also makes beautiful one-of-a-kind jewellery from antique buttons, coins, beads and other small objects [click HERE for her jewellery page] .

If you’re interested in having your hedgie or other critter friends immortalized in paper mache, why not contact Lindsey? She can create pretty much any animal in any pose, size, colour according to your specifications. Her paper mache makes perfect gifts on various occasions as well as great memorial tributes to your cherished pets. I highly recommend her work!​

Thank you for the compliments! :))

How long did it take her to make?
I know Lindsey spent a lot of time researching hedgehogs as a part of her preparation. She turned into a hedgehog enthusiast in the process too. It was her first attempt to create a hedgehog with paper mache, so she said she “experimented a bit” before she decided how she would “express” hedgehog quills. But actual production of the paper mache work from the start to the end? I’m not sure. I’ll forward the question and let you now when I find out.​

I just cannot get over how adorable this little thing is!!! I just love him! Almost makes me wish I had a hedgie! :heart4:

Thank you again for all the compliments! Lindsey is very happy to know people like her work. :thumbsup:
How long did it take her to make?
Lindsey replied saying that paper mache requires a lot of “drying time” in between layers as well as multiple coats of paint, so it’s difficult to calculate the exact production time - especially, drying time varies substantially between seasons.

The paper mache version of Geoffrey took a few months to create because she had never done a hedgehog and she spent a great deal of time researching, sketching, and experimenting.

However, now that she knows the basic structure of a hedgehog and what needs to be done, she’s guessing one hedgehog would take roughly 50 man hours. She works on a paper mache project while doing a million other non-artistic chores, so it probably would take one month to do another hedgehog in the winter months. If she is to do it during the summertime when drying time is reduced to almost a half, the production time would be a bit shorter.

It’s a labour of love for sure! :hearts:​

I know I am late to this post, but Lindsey did a phenomenal job on this hedgie! What a wonderful piece of artwork, and it looks so much like darling Geoffrey!:heart5:

Back