questions about my hegdehog and her babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denisersinsel

My hedgehog had two little babies on the 1 st of July. When is it safe to handle them and get them use to people? I have been giving them all the space my female wants and only been putting in fresh food and water. And also what is the right age to sell or give them away at ? What food do I feed them when they get bigger? And is the a good food to feed the mother? If any can answer any of these questions I would be very thankful.

I would wait until 3 weeks to handle the hoglets if you can. I sold my hoglets at 7-8 weeks. I recommend Royal Canin Baby Cat Food to wean the hoglets onto and you can mix in adult food as they get bigger. What are you feeding the mother right now? I mixed in the Royal Canin Baby Cat Food into my female hogs food while she was pregnant and until the babies were weaned. My girl also likes scrambled/boiled eggs for extra fat/protein while she is nursing. Mealworms would also be good if your lady likes them :) Congrats on the hoglets! There is also a lot of information in the sticky notes regarding breeding and babies. Also check out hedgehogcentral.com for more information.

Thanks!! I am feeding her chicken soup soul something its has high fat/protein so thats why i got that one.

The Royal Canin is also good for the hoglets to wean onto because the pieces are super tiny (forgot to mention that). Be sure to post pictures once its safe!!! :)

Back