I feel like his cage isn't 'fun' enough

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikayla

Okay, so Sonic cannot be litter trained, he poops everywhere whether it be on his wheel, in his igloo, ON his igloo, or on the wall. He just poops where he has to poop. So what kind of stuff I can put in his cage is limited, you know? He has an igloo a wheel and a toilet paper tube (cute down the middle) on some days. But I just want his cage to be 'funner' as it is, he will run for a little while and then eat and drink then he'll go back to bed. He sleeps for like 80% of the day.

Is there any other things I can get for him to do I think he gets bored :(

never had a hedgie, but what about a wood tunnel..wheel..hidey house of fleece...maybe a very low placed bridge?

Last edited:
I might do a bridge...good idea :) He has a wheel though. I can't do fleece becuase he'll poop on it though :(

Luckily, the good thing about fleece is that it's extremely easy to clean up, economical because you can reuse it after washing, and easy to disinfect in hot water. My hedgie's poo sometimes falls off the wheel and gets on the fleece, but by morning it's very easy cleanup!

Go to the hardware store and buy a plumbing pipe and use that - its a huge hit with Lexie and we got the "Y" joint so there are three openings to go in/come out of. They're plastic so you can wash them just like the wheel. I also got some plastic board and made a tent out of it, and thats also a hit. Everything is plastic so its easy to wash but mixes things up for them. Just walk through Home Depot ... so much stuff can be used to make fun hedgie stuff!

Also, be careful with the bridge idea...you don't want them falling off it and breaking little legs.

:) Have fun!

Why can you not use fleece just because he poops on it? I do not use litter boxes with my hedgehogs, I did about 8 years ago but have not since. I have used liners for well over a decade now, they get pooped on, but its never been a problem. Hedgehog poop is easy to pick up.

The only time I've had issues with fleece and stool is when a hedgehog has watery stool. But then I'm very thankful I have the fleece as I know my hedgehog has a digestive problem that needs attention.

I thought it would make it smell, it doesn't? And he really loves his bedding... He burrows and throws it in the air and just plain enjoys it. I think he would lost without it. I might try liners in the future though.

Rachel- Thanks for the ideas :) We are going up to Ft. Collins tomorrow and I have some extra cash so I might try to get him some PVC. And for the bridge (which may not happen...I'm not creative.) would be really low, like 3 inches off the ground, and I haven't really planned that out yet. :)

Can I use wood to make things for him? I could make him a second level maybe.

Assuming you are feeding a good diet, normal hedgehog stool dries out pretty quickly and should not have that much smell. You will want to pick out the stool daily, but no it shouldn't make it smell.

Your hedgehog's wheel will be their primary item for entertainment. Otherwise try to find things that compliment your hedgehog's personality. Burrowers like extra fleece to crawl under, explorers - tubes to run through, etc.

Oatmeal containers can be fun items to run through, hide in, or even sleep in. Tissue boxes to hide in, A pigloo with a bunch of cut up scraps of fleece can be fund to dig through and even burrow in to sleep.

Cat balls, but don't use any that have sprakles or slots that a mouth or tongue could get caught in.

Okay, so a list for tomorrow to get is:
Tubes
Oatmeal (I need more for the chins anyway, he can have the container, he had one at one point but he kept pooping on it :vomit:)
Tissue box
Cat ball
PVC

Anything else?

EDIT: Okay, I just had a brilliant idea (maybe :p) He loves to rock back and forth on his wheel. Could I make him a really low swing? I think he's like it, but I don't know how safe it would be... it would be low though.

Last edited:
I don't think he'd cut his tongue on wood at all. I just worry about the screws and stuff that you'd have to use if you made it out of PVC so that it would be easier to clean up.

Does he chew? Mine doesn't chew at all....if he doesn't chew then you'd probably be fine the only concern is that wood isn't washable and .... well you know hedgehogs....they pee and poop on everything!

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. It's pointless because the OP has been banned for lying about her age, and we don't feel like dealing with her "mother" who hasn't posted here at all, suddenly becoming active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back