Weight & Feeding Issues Need Suggestions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4luvofchins

Hi Friends,

Here is a quick synopsis of what i've been dealing with lately with my soon to be 6 yr old chinny.

Dusty started eating significantly less, like from 2 Tbsp to 3/4 a Tbsp. So I took him in for teeth check and an expensive blood pannel. His teeth weren't bad, she barely filed anything (even discounted the filing because of how little she had to do). His blood results showed only decreased protein, and only slightly. Everything else checked out fine. So I still don't know why he's not eating. I had to start doing critical care after the cleaning for about 3 weeks. Then I noticed him starting to pick at pellats and so I weened off CC. Well, yesterday he ate a whole Tbsp of pellets! However today he's only eaten like 1/2 Tbsp. So inconsistent! So now I am trying to decide starting CC again like 1 10 mL syringe of food just to supplement what he didn't eat, or waiting another night to see if he'll regain. Poop output is GREAT. Eating TONS of hay, haycubes and will take his fav treats (in moderation). He is drinking water fine. Less water consump during CC treatments but that's understandable. No drooling or eye guck to indicate malo. So i'm stumped how to continue proceeding with him. He has lost weight. He was at 680g in Feb. I finally bought a scale and last week he was 652g and tonight he was 623g. He is losing weight. My vet doesn't even have good suggestions and she's excellent with chinnys! Anybody had thoughts comments or help?:hmm:

Parasites in the digestive tract. They can be silent meaning they do not cause loose poo but they can cause weight loss with normal eating or cause a slow down in eating.

Hmm makes me wonder because chinny number 2 has started eating less. I'm going to bring them both in this time and make sure they do a parasite test. Thanks. Could explain it. Is there meds to rid them of parasites? Also how do they get parasites?

There are several meds avaliable, they can harbor the parasite silently then in times of stress or a immune system that gets supressed, the parasite flourishes. Tap water or from another animal are one of the few ways they can get it.

Back