Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikayla

This hedgehog is quite a surprise, and though I do have the resources to care for him (Vet, food, housing) wheels that I see online are quite expensive, is there any other less expensive solutions for wheels? Or about how much would it cost to build a wheel?

Also, while on the exercise topic, Sonic's previous owner has a playpen and let's him play outside during the Summer, she says her enjoys it. I just don't like the idea of that... is it safe? He'll be getting playtime once a day once I get my room hedgie proofed.

Outside play can be safe, but you must take precautions.

1. The ground temperature (not just the air temperature) should be warm enough to not cause the hedgehog to become chilled.

2. You must stay with the hedgehog at all times. Hedgehogs can be very fast and can quickly disappear.

3. Going along with #2, you also should watch to ensure they don't pick up wild bugs. Wild insects can contain parasites and/or pesticides/herbicides/etc that can be harmful to the hedgehog.

4. If you treat your lawn, your hedgehog shouldn't be on it. Our little ones are already prone to cancer, they don't need to be exposed to additional chemicals that may increase that risk.

5. Predators. While I don't know of an instance where a hawk has taken away a pet hedgehog, hopefully that is due to owners paying attention, it is a risk that shouldn't be ignored.

Honestly. I do occasionally let one down in the grass, but its certainly not a regular event. They can be just fine exploring around in a play pen inside that contains plenty of things to explore in/under/on.

I have a play pen that I will probably haul outside to let him play in (While I'm with him) This summer, I'll have it covered also :) His old ownere said he never ran on a wheel, but I don't think she ever tried it :p

Back