Info on genetics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

Can anyone provide me with a place to learn about hedgehog genetics?
I have no intention of breeding, but I am curious to learn how the genetics work for hedgies. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything very useful.
Thanks!

Anyone? I also would like to do some research on a fresh food diet. I read that there is a correlation between WHS and a cat food diet. Since I lost my first boy to WHS (necropsy and histopath confirmed), I am curious as to whether a fresh food diet, or a diet closer to their natural diet, might be healthier and more beneficial. Thoughts?

I don't have any info on genetics, sorry. As for the fresh food diet, I'm always worried that because we don't understand their diet as well as we should, I might miss something in a fresh food diet. I also worry that the cat food might not have enough "fresh" in it despite search for whole ingredients in the list of ingredients on the bag. That being said I take a blended approach, kibble daily and fresh food selection daily. That way there are getting a variety and hopefully I'm meeting their needs.

The food FAQ suggests some good foods (fresh and bagged) that might help.

I have heard it mentioned there is a correlation between cat food and WHS but if that were the case, then just about every hedgehog would end up with WHS.

That's true. But I always felt with Popple that his diet was not what it maybe should be. He would never eat anything other than mealies and kibble, despite having other choices offered to him. When I was syringe feeding him I was able to add some things in but I didn't want to change his food too much for fear of upsetting his stomach.

I'm probably getting a new hedgie in April from a reputable breeder. She's USDA licensed, and her babies are IHA registered and come with a guarantee against WHS.
Popple came from a breeder who seemed conscientious, but in retrospect, not so much.

Anyway, I just wanted to investigate these questions before my new baby arrives, so I can be sure to provide the very best right from the start. I already have my gliders on a fresh food diet, and that has been very good for them, so I thought maybe the same could be true for hedgies.

Back