Possible Kidney Issue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4luvofchins

Hi Everyone,

I was on here a lot about a year back with my chinny Raisin going through teeth problems and then GI stasis. We put him down May2010. Well now his cage mate Dusty is having some trouble. He stopped eating as much about 2 weeks ago, but still ate hay, hay cubes, and drank water. Well I took him in right away, they found a few points on his teeth. So I had him taken in today for filing. Well the vet called and said that the points were actually very mild considering what she usually sees. She now wants to do a very expensive blood test to see if he has kidney issues :( I'm not familiar with kidney problems in chinnys. Does anyone have similar experience or advice? I mean so I pay lots of money for a blood test and he has problems, then what? He is 6 this May. I don't want to lose him, but i'm not ready to go through all the pain, heartache, and money I went through last time with Raisin.

I dont know what to do.

I am sorry you are having problems with your chin.

Can I ask, did the vet do any xrays when he was under anaesthetic? I would ask for full body xrays to be taken rather than going straight for a blood test. You definitely need dental xrays to check whether the roots or crowns of the teeth are elongated & to look for any pockets of infection etc. That would be my first route.

Is he eating at all now? Are you syringe feeding him?

The vet did not do xray and he is already awake from what i was just told. She did take blood but I have not given the OK to do the panel yet. He is eating about 3/4 a tablespoon and lots of hay. He has however lost a little weight from Sunday to today. I'll speak with her today. He's a feisty one, and getting xray with him awake is prob not an option, also he has a heart murmur so going under is a risk.

Back