Vellex Blanket Liners?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsdothehedgie

I was searching the livejournal group hedgehogs and read a comment where someone stated they use vellex blankets cut to size for cage liners. She said since there are no frayed edges theres no need to sew. Has anyone else used vellex, or does anyone have any reasons not to use vellex?

Vellux is not good to use. If hedgie scratches at the liner which 99% of hedgehogs do, the outer covering will come off leaving the foam rubber and nylon mesh core. These are dangerous and the mesh can get wrapped around little toes and the foam can cause blockage if they ingest it. A digging hedgehog can ruin vellux in one night and it will need to be thrown away.

A better option is polar fleece. It doesn't fray so can be cut to fit. Fleece will withstand a digging hedgie and is cheaper than vellux and in nicer colours and patterns. :)

I've used vellux, but switched over to fleece after maybe a year or so. Fortunately Miss Satin was not a digger in the way Nancy describes, so it worked for her.

It's similar to fleece in that you can cut it to size without worrying about edges fraying.

What I prefer about vellux is it's more lightweight, easier to clean, and dries faster than fleece. It doesn't soak up water like fleece, so if someone spills their water dish or pees on it, the fluid mostly just sits there and evaporates... doesn't absorb and spread dampness throughout itself (or to the hedgie who's now underneath their blankie that's underneath the liquid).

Why I switched is that, after awhile, spots do get worn and you can see the inner mesh. At that point, it's a potential danger. You have to replace the vellux more quickly than fleece for that reason - so it's more expensive in the long-run. As it ages, you have to spend time standing around and examining it each time it comes back out of the wash to make sure it's still good/safe. I'd rather spend my hedgie-time with my hedgies, rather than with their blankies. And, of course, there are more cute colors and patterns with fleece than vellux ;)

I used vellux for many years. At the time it was the latest and greatest find for hedgehog cages. I only had a problem with 1 hedgehog digging through it. He even stopped digging at it once he was given a larger cage (he was an extremely busy runner).

I decided to try fleece/flannel liners later after hearing great reports about Sherry Songhurts (she no longer makes them though). After trying them, I switched all hedgehogs to them. I switch in part because the fleece does soak up water, but also because they are more durable. I have some now that are 7-8 years old and get washed twice weekly.

I found that lining the fleece with corderoy helps with diggers. I have had my boys dig through their fleece and then get fuzzies all over.. So we get flannel, cotton or fleece lined with corderoy..

I have also found vellux in my area is expensive.

Back