Keeping my hedgies warm...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kaycoocachoo

I've just adopted two hedgies from a friend of the family who had to give them away due to moving. I do believe that my house is a tad cold for them and I was wondering what is the best source of heating that can be used for hedgies. I do have some lamps that we used for reptiles, and I know that some people do use these, but what is the best way to keep my hedgies warm?

Some of us use ceramic heat emitters, and I'll have to let one of them comment on them. I use an oil filled radiator style space heater.

What works best will depend on your situation. For me keeping the space heater on and warming the bedroom the hedgehogs are in has worked great They also happen to be in the warmest room of the house (without supplemental heat).

What temperature is it in their room?

Hi there! Congrats on the new hedgies. Temperature needs to be kept above 72*F at all times, but most hedgies actually prefer 75*F. You'll want a digital thermometre to put right above/near their cages (separate I hope).

There are basically 3 ways to keep them warm:

1) Turn up the heat in the entire house. This is usually unrealistic, but for some that like a really warm house it will work.

2) Purchase a space heater for the room that they are in. This will heat up just that one room and provide a nice even temperature. There are many different styles and prices for heater available.

3) Purchasing a ceramic heat emitter & thermostat. The ceramic heat emitter, only produces heat and not light. The thermostat will control the heat output and automatically turn the heater on and of when needed.

A heat lamp often produces light at the same time which can really both most hedgehogs. They need a normal day/night cycle so having the heat lamp on at night would throw that off.

Good luck with the new hedgies! :) You'll have to post photos!

Ceramic heat emitters work great. They produce heat without light. Red bulbs should not be used as some hedgehogs will not come out in red light.

Heat emitters must be used with a thermostat to control the amount of heat it puts out otherwise they can be too warm.

It's about 72 degrees now, but we are expecting a cold front and I want to be sure that I am ready for that.

I'm not sure where sanford is, but I'm also in Florida, and the last front that came through it was 40 something outside, but even without heat on we only went to 72 inside. If the temp holds you may not need anything. They can get to warm, so check temp by cage before adding heat.

It gets into the low 60's in my house during the night and in the early morning. Right now I am monitoring the temperatures just to check before I use any heating tools. I am just worried about them getting too cold. They are still adjusting to the new environment, and I want to make sure they are as comfortable as they can be.

If the temperature is dropping into the low 60s, then the house is 100% too cold.

When a hedgehog gets too cold, they attempt hibernation. This of course is very bad as our pet hedgehogs do not prepare for this. Each time they attempt to hibernate it can weaken their immune system, or potentially death depending on the length of the attempt.

Over night is the most important time for a hedgehogs environment to be at a suitable temperature for them as that is when they are up and active.

60F is about 15 degrees too low. You need to get something to provide them with heat now before they attempt hibernation.

What sex are they? Are they housed together?

I use ceramic heat emitters. They have worked wonderfully for the hedgies. I'm able to keep the temperature at about 78 degrees, which the hedgies love!

I have a heat source on them, that is temporary. It is a lizard light, but it emits hardly any light at all. I have one boy and one girl, housed separately. I am going tomorrow to get different ways to keep them warm. The temperature in the cage at the moment is 74.6 F. But I want to get a better source just in case. Thanks for the help.

When I kept my hedgehogs, they were placed in the warmest room in my house with an additional oil filled electric heater and fleece lined sleeping bags for extra warmth. Living in OH, there are always concerns about electricity going out in the wintertime. So I also had a vent free gas heater installed in my hedgehog room for emergencies.

How do you use ceramic heat emitters? Do you put them in the cages with the hegies or hang them from the top of their cage? I am a soon-to-be new hedgie owner and live in a basement apartment with no control over the temperature. We have a space heater at the moment, but I am still worried that she will get too cold and get sick.

We use a lizard type heating lamp as well. So far it works out fine and she's also in the warmest room and we have some rags for her to use as blankets.

Back