Unexpected newborns, still learning, could use advice!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpineyPigFaceLover

I recently purchased a female hedgehog (Sookie) from a pet store in Indiana. I originally had every intention of getting one from a breeder, but when I saw the little hedgies in the store, I knew I had to take one home with me.

I've had her for about a month. She seemed to warm up to me quite quickly. I noticed she got a little bigger, but didn't think much of it as I was definitely feeding her at least 1 treat/day. So I took her off her treats for a few days just in case she was becoming overweight. Three days ago I went to her cage to see if she wanted to play, and low and behold there were TWO newborn babies in there with her! I was shocked, worried, emotional, and totally freaked out (I thought they were enormous bugs at first, haha). It was as if I woke up and suddenly had children. I'm battling with the pet store currently because of their irresponsibility about keeping males and females together in a cage at breeding age (she is about 3-4 months now). I'm glad this happened to me and not an irresponsible family, but I want to keep this from happening again in the community.

Anyway... I've done hours upon hours of research since the pet store obviously has no intention of helping (only wants to buy them back from me, sadly-which I refuse to do). I've taken a medium cardboard shoebox and put fleece pieces in it as her nesting box (as her igloo is too small for three). I'm keeping her food and water close to her nest. If I see any babies that have wandered, I've tried to gently put them back using a spoon when Sookie isn't looking, since I know touching them is a no no. The babies haven't been making much noise, which leads me to believe that they are being well fed and happy.They've only made noise if I pick them up with a spoon. I can't ever see them to know if she is nursing though, as I do not want to disturb them too much. I'm trying my best to help Sookie with this process and keep the babies alive.

I know Sookie is in mother mode right now, but every time I go in just to replace her food and water and pick up any poopies that weren't in the litter box, she huffs and hisses at me. Should I be concerned that she won't be the same after this is over?

I just have her eating her normal hedgie food, and when she wakes up at night I plan on feeding her a few mealworms to get some more fat in her diet for milk production. Is that enough? Or is it absolutely necessary to purchase cat food?

When is a good time to touch and handle the babies? I've read many different answers to this question. Some say two weeks is a good time, others say 3 weeks. My vet said when their eyes open should be good.

How do I aid in the process of weaning? Do they do this on their own, or do I need to take any additional steps?

When is a good time to have them leave to go to new homes? Some people say 6 weeks, others say 7 or 8 weeks.

Also, when should I separate them from mom/eachother? There's been debate from what I can gather on that too. If they end up both being females is it ok to keep them together?

Should I wait to take Sookie to the vet for her first annual, or should I plan on bringing the babies too? It's winter time, so I think it might be difficult to get three there safely.

Any answers would help!

Don't bug mom or her cage other than to feed and water her. If you give her bugs, just leave them in the cage in a separate dish from her food dish. You can start adding some Royal Canin Baby cat into her mix of food. That will give her the extra fat and is a wonderful food for babies to wean onto.

You don't need to use a spoon to pick up babies. Often babies get cool when then are away from the nest and moms often think cool babies are dead babies. Use your fingers to gently pick them up and put them back. Usually when they squeak, mom will go get them. It's best not to be around the cage any more than necessary.

If they are still alive at 3 days old, mom is feeding them. Their best chance of survival is with mom so it's best to make sure mom doesn't get stressed and abandons them.

Her hissing and carrying on when you feed and water her is normal and she is telling you to get lost. Talk to her quietly as you enter her room and before you go near the cage so she knows it is you. Tell her what you are doing.

Usually it is okay to slowly start handling babies at 2 weeks but each mom is different.

Mom will wean the babies. They will start sampling her food at 4-5 weeks.

Boys should be leaving mom at 6 weeks providing they are eating well on their own. Girls can stay with mom but often mom will go through a period when she wants nothing to do with her daughters and sometimes the girl or girls need to be taken away for a few weeks so mom gets some peace.

Babies can go to their new home once they are away from mom and you make sure they are eating well and gaining weight well once away from mom. I usually kept babies for about a week after leaving mom to make sure all was well with them.

No vet visit until babies are weaned unless mom or a baby needs to see the vet sooner.

I don't have much to add about baby care, I have only been there once (with my first hedgehog) but wanted to say congrats to the surprise litter.

Update

The babies are doing very well! And mom has loosened up a bit, so we're all very happy : ]

They are officially two weeks old as of yesterday, but here's a pic I took of them at one week old. I'll take more recent pics hopefully today or tomorrow, when Sookie decides to leave her nest and hide under the fleece for some alone-time (she loves her little breaks!)

Attachments

• DSCN2640.jpg
    DSCN2640.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
I just realized that our hoglets are the same age!! My three turned 2 weeks yesterday too :) Gotta love their smushed little faces :p

I just realized that our hoglets are the same age!! My three turned 2 weeks yesterday too :) Gotta love their smushed little faces :p

Awww, that's awesome that mine and yours are about the same age! They are so cute when their all wrinkly! Mine will be three weeks old on Thursday, and then I'll finally be able to hold them! It's so crazy how time flies with hoglets. I just snuck a peek at them this morning and their faces are so much bigger!

I'm just glad my Sookie has been a good momma to them and everything has been smooth sailing so far. One questions for everyone though, when do the babies first quill? I haven't seen any evidence of quilling yet, although it looks like they know how to use their defense systems already and I think they know how to ball up a little.

Sookie did something weird

So I am in the process of switching her food to something better than her mystery food, so I go upstairs to mix it in a little with her old food, I noticed her under the fleece blanket. I lifted up the box nest and saw that her babies were gone! I lifted up the blanket and sure enough she was under her blanket laying on the towel nursing the little hoglets. I picked them up and moved them to the area where the box is and immediately Sookie scruffed them and drug them under the blanket again!

I think it's kind of funny, but also strange since it's been three weeks and up until just today she seemed content in the box. There were tons of fleece pieces in there to keep them warm! So I'm thinking it may be warmer under the blanket? But I am concerned that the babies will not get enough air. Should I have anything to worry about?

My mama hedgie keeps her hoglets underneath a blanket and they have been fine! She didn't like the fleece strips. Ever since I have had her she sleeps underneath her liner, so when she was due I put an extra blanket so the hoglets wouldn't be on the bottom of the cage.

It's not a good idea to go moving mom and babies. Mom knows where she wants them and for her to move them, she has a reason.

All my girls had small thick blankies (12" x 12") to have their babies under. They also had a nest box and some chose to drag the blankie out of the nest box and have babies on the bare plastic under the blankie. I had a couple of moms that chose to use the empty nest box as her new litter box. :hilarious:

Yeah, I mean I'll leave her there since it's obviously what she wants, I'm just concerned about the babies' air supply. It's one piece of fleece folded over, so it's like two layers and they are on top of the towel I put under the fleece.

Also, they are officially three weeks old today! Should I start picking them up for a minute at a time? Should I wait until Sookie isn't looking or is it better if she sees me picking them up?

Yes, start handling them now. If you haven't handled them at all, start slowly. First night, pick up one for a minute. If mom is fine with it, next night pick them all up, one at a time, for a minute. After that, you can handle them longer and will soon be able to have them all plus mom out for playtime.

Two layers of fleece is fine. The blankies I made for moms were two layers of fleece.

The babies are doing very well and are much bigger : ] They are officially 4 1/12 weeks old. I have begun grinding the food into smaller pieces so that the babies can eat the food more easily and safely. The girl seems to be taking to the food very well, but the little boy I haven't seen eating the food at all however I also haven't heard them nursing either. The boy is very fussy whenever I pick him up or put my hands in the cage. I could hold him for 15 minutes and he still wouldn't loosen up enough to put his quills down and sometimes he won't unball for up to 5 minutes. I'm wondering if maybe he's eating when I'm not around at all or if the presence of people makes him too nervous to eat. I'm concerned about it because I know I'm going to have to separate him when he turns 5 weeks, right?

Is there any advice I can get for a fussy boy who is also a fussy eater (or non-eater)?

Back