Heating advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgiespirit

My parents live in an old farmhouse in upstate NY and Ossian and I are home for thanksgiving break until Sunday. I brought his CHE with thermostat to keep his cage warm enough while we're here. He has two travel cages, one is a two-bin sterelite cage and the other is a my first home superpet cage as seen in this picture: http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/standard/504595.jpg Right now, I have him set up in the superpet cage because I thought it might be difficult to heat two separate bins with the CHE. However, the wire cage isn't holding heat well. My parents' home is 64F right now and last I checked, Ossian's cage was only up to 68.5F. He's alright for now because he is sleeping and I have a rice sock that I warm up every hour or so in the microwave and put in his pigloo to snuggle. I'm worried about tonight when he wakes up and runs around. 68.5F is not warm enough for him. I currently have towels wrapped around the sides of his cage to help keep heat in (but not touching the CHE...fire hazard) but am looking for any other suggestions people may have. Would the sterelite bins possibly be easier to heat?

If worse comes to worse, I'll get up every couple of hours tonight to reheat his rice sock and check him.

Wrapping the back and sides of the Superpet cage should work. I personally like to use clear plastic as it allows light to still enter but holds the heat in. Towels will work well and if you are worried, use clothespins to hold them in place around the sides. You can wire the emitter on the top so there is no risk of it sliding around.

If you find wrapping the back and sides doesn't work well enough, wrap part of the front as well.

Back