Scales?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hi There,
Well I've been looking for a good, not too expensive, scale but I can't seem to find any. Im wondering if any of you know where I canfind one, and does it have to be an animal scale or can I use a kitchen scale or something like that?
Thanks,
Tessa

I don't think I've ever seen an animal scale that I really liked. Get yourself a nice kitchen scale. You can often find them for $20 or less. You will want one that weighs in 1-2 gram increments, and has either a large surface area or one which you can place a bowl to tare to help contain your hedgehog.

hi there,
THanks, I think i will try the kitchen scale, but how often should I weigh him??
Tessa

Honestly, I weigh mine everyday and keep it in a log for them. This allows me to see trends and patterns in their weight. It also helps to alert me of if there is a problem arising.

In addition to weighing daily, I weigh mine at the same time of day. This is important as hedgehog weight throughout the day can vary greatly. You will be surprised at the difference if you weigh one pre-poop and after poop. My preference is to weigh them just after I get up each morning. This way I can check their weights and get a good look at them to ensure no injuries or other health problems have come up during their awake hours.

Back