Silent Spinner Wheels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hello,
I've been hearing that silent spinner wheels are suitable for hedgehogs, but some others have told me that they arent, so what is your opinion on them?? Are they safe for them?
Thanks,
Tessa

Silent Spinners are not safe.

1. They are made of two pieces and there is a joint all around the center running tread where the two pieces meet. Not only is there a joint but there are slits there to let urine drain. Both the joint and the slits can catch little toes and nails while running and cause injury.

People have tried to solve this problem by putting tape over the joint and drainage slits but then the urine can't drain out so they run in the urine. Of course tape on a running surface is always a risk.

2. There is a nut both front and back and both those nuts are known to come undone causing the wheel to fall.

3. The wheel extends out past the metal frame. When a hedgehog enters or exits, especially a larger hedgie, the wheel can tip over on the hedgie.

The wheel itself is made of brittle plastic and can crack fairly easily.

If you want to buy a commercially made wheel, go with the giant Comfort wheel.

Thanks Nancy, but I've heard that because of piece in the middle of a comfort wheel they arent very safe for hedgies either?? Because they can't bend that way, its especially harder for bigger hedgies.?

There's nothing on the comfort wheel that can cause injury. There are ridges that some people think can hurt their feet but I've never had any injuries from a comfort wheel. One thing I don't like about Comfort wheels is the dark colour that hides any off coloured urine. The best wheel right now I feel is the Carolina Storm wheel made by Larry. It is on sale this month.

I have 2 Carolina Storm Wheels and my hedgies love them. They are quiet and easy to clean, which I love.

I found the Comfort Wheel to be too rattley and the ridges made it a pain to clean.

Back