Heating sources??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hello,
I am getting a hedgehog in a couple of weeks and i was just wondering what is the best heating source for a hedgehog? is it a heating lamp or a heating pad(like the kind for a reptile)? and what is the safest one?

Thank you

The heating source will depend on what type of cage you have for your hedgie. I'd stay away from heating pads - the ones made for reptiles will get too hot; the ones made for humans typically shut themselves off after a certain amount of time - and they won't warm the entire area that your hedgie will need to keep warm enough. That is, hedgie will be just fine when s/he's sitting on the area, but once s/he gets up to use the wheel, it could become too cold.

If you have a wire-top/plastic-bottom cage, a ceramic heat emitter with lamp and thermostat control will work wonders.

If you have a c&c set up, you'll need to keep the whole room warm. Same with Sterilite bins.

I have a wire top/plastic bottom cage, its pretty big, about the same size as a rabbit cage, so the ceramic heat emitter would probaly work best for me then, but how long do i keep it on for??

Back