housing for my whs hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mrscrubbles

my hedgie has wobbly hedgehog syndrome (whs) and it started in the middle of may. hes been to the vets and all and i am trying to find the best way to fit up a new home for him. he used to live in a big plastic storage container with his wheel and such. but now that he falls over sometimes, the wheel isn't going to cut it, i'm afraid of him falling off constantly. and i can't let him run in a large ball either cause when he falls over, it'll tip with him as he tries to get back up.
after the vets visit, he had lost a ton of weight (only weighed about 150 g) and i was afraid of his food intake (i had just gotten back from college, btw, and a friend had been watching him...idk if the food intake also had to do with their babysitting job) so i got him a small plastic container so that he could easily access food and water. i let him out in my room every night to walk around but i can't sit out for hours with him because i get so tired by the time hes awake and i feel horrible with him having nothing to do all night. i was looking into setting up a little area for him to run around in but its going to be difficult because my room is pretty small and i don't have much room for anything.
i saw people using the flying saucer as a wheel...will this possibly be of better use since its tilted so much? when hes on flat surface, he runs around a lot and is very active. he doesn't fall over too too much. thankfully, its a very slow process and he hasn't gotten worse. he has gained weight back by the looks of it, too.
im now considering just getting him a big cage (have to move some furniture out of my room) and maybe if i set up a few little toys/obstacles it will be enough for him during the night? i need help cause i get so sad thinking of him being bored at night (hence why im' at 1:41 am). if you have any ideas or can think of any specific homes, please let me know! pretty desperate now.
thank you!
sarah&mr. scrubbles

If he is still able to run around and not tip over very much then leave the wheel in. What type of wheel do you have? One that is low to the ground is best so that if he falls, there isn't far to fall. Usually when they tip over it's to one side or the other and he will probably figure out what side he tips to and run with that side against the back of the wheel. As long as they can still walk, their wheel is important to them and even if they can't run like they used to, even a slow walk or a couple of spins keeps them happy.

IMO a flying saucer would be worse because of the angled surface. The flying saucer is not a natural running position and it usually takes them a while to get used to without sliding off. I have a couple hedgehogs that love the flying saucer, others that would not touch it. If you are going to buy another wheel, something that is very low to the ground with a wide tread, and flat surface. One of the cake carrier wheels would be ideal. Avoid one with crossbars as they would be dangerous when he falls.

WHS hogs don't usually put weight back but if he'es able to access the food easier perhaps that is why. Weight loss with WHS is also loss of muscle mass.

Once he starts having more difficulty getting around, having a liner that is well secured so it can't bunch up is important to help him get around. When they tip over frequently and have to paddle to get to their feet, a loose liner makes it just about impossible. If they can get a grip on a non moving surface, it's much easier to get back on their feet.

I was thinking about that, if he would maybe be able to figure out which way to run because he only tips to one side. And what exactly is a cake carrier wheel? I googled it and i could only find a little bit of info, how would i make one and such? I think because theres more room for him to be on it I would be more comfortable with the idea.
The vet told me about the muscle loss so I was surprised to him gaining weight but I'm thinking its because he had less exercise and I got him food that was recommended for whs hedgies. And when i picked him up from my friends house...they had what I think was like mice food (they have mice) or something in it and i got really worried wondering how long he had that as food. It had like corn kernels and what looked like seeds or something. They have a bird but i don't think they would have been that naive to give him bird food. Thank youu!

also, what bout the carolina storm wheel? I just did some reading on it and you can make it higher and lower and change the angling...do you think that would be a good wheel to try out?

yes, i've read you are a fan of them and i saw that they were adjustable. i'm going to e-mail him and let him know of my situation. and i do have rug stopper as something to grip on for my hedgie. thanks so much for the help! im sure i'll be back soon lol

Back