Cotton Stuff on Hoglets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sasa

I know that I should have left the baby hedgehogs with the mommy, but my situation didn't really leave me with a choice.

What happened was nobody knew that the hedgehog was a female and was pregnant AND already had babies because we were rescuing it from a store that had closed down. The manager from my store tried to take all the animals as quickly as he could because that was all the permission he could get from the mall (since the actual owner of that store was not there and has not been there for like 2 days). So he took the hedgehogs and all the other small animals.

The next day (after all the paperwork has been settled), he went back to clean up and found the babies (there was 4 of them). So he rushed it back to our store where we were keeping mommy (mommy was fine and tamed). So we took her and tried to see if she was willing to take the hoglets back. The first day back was not so good, she kinda ignored the babies. The second day she was keeping them warm and such (happy happy). Then the third day, she was eating one of them. Being devastated, I quickly seperated her from the rest of the 3 hoglets and used a heating lamp and warmed the 3 little ones up.

After searching online, i found out that they could drink goat's milk/lamb's milk/kitten replacement formula. So i started hand feeding them with a syringe. One of them looked really really underdeveloped , one was semi underdevelop, and the last one looked like a normal hoglet. Unfortunately, i've never taken care of baby hedgehogs before and the one that looked really really underdeveloped passed away from probably bloating and the intestines were bleeding. The underdeveloped one had lung issues because that part of the body was unproportionally to the rest. Which leads us to my last survivor. I've been feeding him goat's milk with camomille tea and acidophilus. Everything is fine until just now, i noticed these cottony things near his skin and in between his quills. He's around 2-3 weeks old (since i don't know when he was born), but his eyes has started to open up.

So..... is my little hoglet going to be fine with this cottony stuff? (oh and he has aspen shavings and a little blanket to crawl under)

One of my boys gets a mix of dandruff and lintish stuff between his quills. He gets it from the blankets and liners. I know its from that because if I change the color of the blanket the lintish color changes. So I keep him on yellow liners so its not obvious and pick it out when I see it. It will come out in a bath too.. I guess its kind of like when you stick clothes in the dryer and you get the lint in the lint trap no matter how many times you wash something.. His quills are like a lint trap.

I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Back